How do I Export Stems to.... Well... Anything.....

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dave M

How do I Export Stems to.... Well... Anything.....

Post by Dave M » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:46 am

Hi All,

Really hoping someone can help or knows the answer of how to do this.

When I export the stems, how do I get them out of Auria Pro?

On mine the only option (other than into the Auria folder) is by email..... But I have tried to press the button... And nothing happens.

So how do I actually export the stems so that I can do something else with them?

Thanks in advance
Dave

mtingle
Expert

Re: How do I Export Stems to.... Well... Anything.....

Post by mtingle » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:05 am

a program called ifunbox:

http://www.i-funbox.com/

it allows you to access the folders inside Auria and drag and drop them onto your desktop.

Its free.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:05 am

This is why there should be an additional 'Export' option in the Mixdown dialog, i.e. 'Open In...'. The stems are already zipped during the Mixdown process so launching an 'Open In...' process afterwards for that zipped file shouldn't be a major task. After all, 'Menu -> Save Project -> Save Project to Other App' does just that.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:32 am

Desktop?

Mtingle, I'm working purely from an iPad. Tried iFunbox app but I cannot access anything only create new folders to put new stuff into. But maybe I'm missing something simple.

Washboy, I want to be able to export stems to Dropbox or my Sandisk iXpand or my Sandisk Connect drive so that I can send them to somebody else.

Are you saying this isn't possible?

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:13 pm

In this thread, Rim indicated an "export" function is coming. Not sure if it will help or not with what you are trying to do.

http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic ... 182#p49703

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:41 pm

@Radside : No, that's a different 'export' - specifically export of an audio or midi region via 'Open In...'.

@Dave M : At the moment you can save whole projects to Dropbox and to other cloud storage (via 'Menu -> Save Project -> Save Project to DropBox / Other App') but Mixdown to Stems only saves the stems to a user-named folder in the documents folder.

N.B.: I was wrong, in my earlier post. I stated that Mixdown to stems creates a zip file of the stems. It doesn't. Apologies for any confusion caused :oops:

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

"a user-named folder in the documents folder." I don't know what this means. Do you mean a folder on the IOS "desktop" screen, with my username?

I honestly don't know why there is a "stems" option if it doesn't include functionality where I can gather my various tracks and send them somewhere else. It's THE desirable functionality -- I want / need to use the iPad to record, and then do post-production on another machine.

This deserves much more attention and response.

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 am

as I suggested in the bugs thread about this ;

couldnt you " gather the stems " by importing into a new " Stems " project & then use existing features such as Save Project to Drobox / etc to get the stems out .

(I havent used stems yet , so I am asking if this is possible as much as suggesting .)

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:25 pm

danhedonia wrote:"a user-named folder in the documents folder." I don't know what this means. Do you mean a folder on the IOS "desktop" screen, with my username?

I honestly don't know why there is a "stems" option if it doesn't include functionality where I can gather my various tracks and send them somewhere else. It's THE desirable functionality -- I want / need to use the iPad to record, and then do post-production on another machine.

This deserves much more attention and response.
Apologies. My wording was ambiguous.

By "the documents folder" I mean Auria's main folder/directory - the one that's opened when you do 'Menu -> Load Project' or 'Menu -> Import File'. It's called the Documents Folder.

By "user-named folder" I mean that, when you do Mixdown to stems, the Mixdown dialog will offer a filename of projectname_stems but you can enter your own filename instead. That filename will be used to name the folder that is created in the Documents folder. The user names it, hence "user-named". The stems are written into that folder.

I hope that clears up the ambiguity :)

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank you for clearing up the terminology!

However, I'm not really sure what performing that mixdown (and creating that file) does for me.

Here are a couple of use scenarios that I do not know how to address:

1. Record tracks in Auria, email tracks to producer for final mixing/post-production. Producer will wish to import tracks to (some other DAW) and it's not reasonable to ask them to do this WAV file by WAV file, email attachment by email attachment.

2. Record tracks in Auria, send proprietary Auria stems to friend in California for additional tracking / overdubbing, perhaps within Auria.

How do we do these things? It's very important to be to perform these operations to be more than a 'better version of Garageband.'

Is there a way to mixdown to the Documents folder, THEN export that stem file to Dropbox? That would at least address #2 above (I think).

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:30 pm

danhedonia wrote:
Is there a way to mixdown to the Documents folder, THEN export that stem file to Dropbox? That would at least address #2 above (I think).
after mixdown to stems ..
create new project , Import File(s) ( THE STEMS !! from document folder ) , Save Project to Dropbox .
the stem audio files will be saved in the project folder file in dropbox & can be accessed in the folder
(without the recipient needing a copy of Auria )

edited for more info.

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks.

Still sort of bewildered as to why file compatibility wouldn't be a huge goal for the developers of this app.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:23 pm

danhedonia wrote:Thanks.

Still sort of bewildered as to why file compatibility wouldn't be a huge goal for the developers of this app.
Which particular file compatibility do you reckon is essential but is currently unfulfilled?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:58 am

Auria supports all the major file formats. Not sure which one you mean?

Rim

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:10 am

Edited for IOS issues ... will update in a few.

Update:
Was able to save to stems, then create new project, import stems, then export to Dropbox.
That's 4 (very time consuming) steps for what should be a 1-step process. Still wondering what I must be missing, because when I open the Mixdown menu, there are options for 'stems' from the File Type drop-down, and there is a radio button for "DropBox" on the Export menu options.

But they're not selectable. I think that having that having those functions be selectable / functioning would be enormously helpful.