Good Interface for Creating Drum Parts and Loops

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndieP
Expert

Good Interface for Creating Drum Parts and Loops

Post by IndieP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:26 am

OK all,
Trying to create a drum part on the iPad is (to say the least) somewhat difficult. I'm ready to consider a more dedicated device (or software) for the purpose of doing this. I have not googled this yet because I'd like to get some input from some of you as to what you've found to be a decent interface or software to use in creating drum parts. I might add that I am a keyboard player and have never played drums.
Suggestions P.L.E.A.S.E

mdarby
Expert

Re: Good Interface for Creating Drum Parts and Loops

Post by mdarby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:18 pm

I am not a big-time drum programmer, but I believe what you want is something with rugged, comfortable, velocity sensitive pads for laying down the beats.

I have the first generation Arturia Beatstep which works well for that. It also acts as a standalone sequencer and 16 rotary dials to tweak your iPad music apps. It's built from metal so feels solid.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:59 am

The easiest method would be to buy the iOS version of Garageband and use the Drummer feature, it creates extremely varied and dynamic drum tracks with minimal hassle and you can control how the drummer plays throughout your song. I've been using the Drummer for the past few months and I really love it.

Here's a couple of examples:

https://soundcloud.com/richardyot/kings-of-nothing

https://soundcloud.com/richardyot/doubt

You have to export the Drummer track from Garageband into Auria, the main drawback with this workflow is that the drums are on a single stereo track rather than each drum on its own track.

Alternatively there is an app called Rock Drum Machine that can also create some cool drums with fills etc semi-automatically.

If you want more manual control then there is Drumperfect Pro which lets you create all the beats and fills manually, it's a very deep and comprehensive app and also one of the few on iOS that allows you to have each drum on a separate track via IAA.

Otherwise there are many drum machine apps available, iSpark probably being one of the better ones.

creARTiv

Post by creARTiv » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:42 am

What about DrumJam?
I Love this App :D

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks guys for your input. I already have GarageBand, and you’re right, it does seem to have a good drum kit in it, but I have a few more questions.

I’ve also had DrumPerfect on my radar for a little while now, but a quote from another individual says; (it does not let you play your sample-based kit via MIDI, whether from a MIDI track in your sequencer or an external MIDI controller). I’m not sure how much this would be a negative to me, but is this correct?

In the DrumPerfect App Bundle, what do you get in the other app that is not in the Pro?

While considering my options, I was also looking at some Pad Controllers, and the “Trigger Finger Pro with Step Sequencer” got my attention, (after all, it does have pretty lights, lol), along with two others which were the QuNeo from Keith McMillen and the Korg PadKontrol. I’m unsure how much more versatility and latitude (if any) would be obtained from a drum pad controller versus say DrumPerfect Pro, what do you think?

Note: And by the way richardyot, nice drum tracks on your songs.

GuntharBecker
Expert

Post by GuntharBecker » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:04 pm

@IndieP
The DrumPerfect bundle exists so that previous DP users can purchase DrumPerfect Pro at a reduced price. So I f you aren't a DP user looking to upgrade to DP Pro, the bundle is useless. I have both versions and can verify there is no reason to own both apps. That said, I would certainly recommend the pro version as it is the best option for real drums currently available for iOS.

Also, DIODE-108 is a really fun and cool drum machine app that's also super cheap. Highly recommended :D
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.