iOS 9.3 improvements ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Igneousflame

iOS 9.3 improvements ?

Post by Igneousflame » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 am

For those who have upgraded, has anyone noticed any CPU usage improvements with 9.3 ? I understand there was a bug pre 9.3 which caused CPU 'spikes'.

AndyE
Expert

Re: iOS 9.3 improvements ?

Post by AndyE » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 am

I'm also waiting for news on this (from someone more intelligent than I) before I update. I'm sure Rim will be running some tests.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:27 am

AndyE, I can't vouch for my intelligence but can report that following an update to iOS 9.3 on my IPad 4 I was able to record a live session via my Focusrite 18i8 interface using guitar, bass, keyboards, electronic drums, and vocals. Previously on iOS 9.2 I was unable to satisfactorily connect the 18i8 and maintain a stable connection. I did not receive any CPU error messages during this particular recording but perhaps other users on this forum may stretch the iPad more than I have. On the strength of this initial success I updated my IPad Pro from 9.1 to 9.3 with excellent results (see my note below). I will continue to test under 9.3 with the IPad Pro and 18i8 and feedback to this post if I encounter any problems. Perhaps other users may also find time to report on the CPU bug.

Note :- It is important for anyone using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface or any other interface that was crippled by iOS 9.2 that they may still have to use the workaround of plugging and unplugging a headset into the audio out socket of the IPad to get rid of an initial high latency problem. Previously I could not get this workaround to work under iOS 9.2. I don't know what's changed with iOS 9.3 to improve the situation but for now I am relieved that I can at last use my IPad Pro and 18i8 without too much hassle. If simply plugging and unplugging a headset from the Audio out socket clears the latency issue then perhaps a simple permanent fix may be around the corner.

Hope this helps

Trevor

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks Morgan (Trevor) for getting back with your test results. That sounds very promising. The fact that you're not getting any CPU error messages after the update fills me with hope. I'll try some tests of my own later. :)

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:31 am

Morgan wrote:AndyE, I can't vouch for my intelligence but can report that following an update to iOS 9.3 on my IPad 4 I was able to record a live session via my Focusrite 18i8 interface using guitar, bass, keyboards, electronic drums, and vocals. Previously on iOS 9.2 I was unable to satisfactorily connect the 18i8 and maintain a stable connection. I did not receive any CPU error messages during this particular recording but perhaps other users on this forum may stretch the iPad more than I have. On the strength of this initial success I updated my IPad Pro from 9.1 to 9.3 with excellent results (see my note below). I will continue to test under 9.3 with the IPad Pro and 18i8 and feedback to this post if I encounter any problems. Perhaps other users may also find time to report on the CPU bug.

Note :- It is important for anyone using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface or any other interface that was crippled by iOS 9.2 that they may still have to use the workaround of plugging and unplugging a headset into the audio out socket of the IPad to get rid of an initial high latency problem. Previously I could not get this workaround to work under iOS 9.2. I don't know what's changed with iOS 9.3 to improve the situation but for now I am relieved that I can at last use my IPad Pro and 18i8 without too much hassle. If simply plugging and unplugging a headset from the Audio out socket clears the latency issue then perhaps a simple permanent fix may be around the corner.

Hope this helps

Trevor
please tell me how the workaround works.
1) Plug 18i8 into ipad
2) Start Auria
3) Plug and unplug Earphones
4) begin session

It's correct?
it resolves loading new projects no sound output until plug and replug 18i8?
Thanks in advance
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Acaonweb, hi there. Please note the following observations and already published workaround procedures I used to get my Scarlett 18i8 working with Auria Pro under iOS 9.3. The workarounds are still a compromise and far from satisfactory but I found the workaround sufficiently stable and workable until such time APPLE or FOCUSRITE resolve the USB issues. There are two connectivity / audio issues that I have personally experienced so far that require different workarounds. They are as follows and have worked on both my Ipad4 and IPad Pro.

Problem 1 :- If the Scarlett 18i8 is powered on and plugged into the IPad before Auria is started then it is likely that Auria will fail to recognise that the 18i8 is connected.

Solution 1. Ensure AURIA remains active on the screen then simply unplug and replug the USB cable to force AURIA to reconnect to the 18i8. Alternatively turn off the 18i8 and turn it back on again. (Note) if you shut down AURIA or put it into the background you will likely have to repeat this procedure.

Problem 2. Severe latency issues within AURIA or when inserting IAA plugins or when running plugins standalone.

Solution 2. This workaround requires plugging in headphones or earpieces into the IPad Audio Out Jack socket and then immediately unplugging them. This clears the latency issue. This may have to be repeated each time an additional IAA plugin is inserted into Auria.

Hope this helps

Edit :- 30/03/2016

Please note RIM's comment below which is important and relevant. I made a personal decision to update from iOS 9.1 to iOS 9.3 knowing I would have to live with a couple workarounds for a while. Previously AURIA and the Focusrite 18i8 worked flawlessly together on iOS 9.1. The workarounds detailed above are iOS 9.3 fixes for the 18i8 / Auria combination and in no way suggest there is a problem with AURIA.

Trevor
Last edited by Morgan on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Keep in mind that these issues affect all iOS apps, not just Auria. This is an iOS issue, which Apple is aware of. They fixed some of the issues in 9.3, but there are still some issues to be fixed.

Rim

Igneousflame

Post by Igneousflame » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:00 am

Cool to see that people's interfaces are working now, but I was referring more to CPU performance improvements with 9.3, any thoughts on this ?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:43 am

In my testing all the CPU spike issues that were caused by iOS 9.2 are now gone in 9.3

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:41 am

That's fantastic news, Rim. Thanks for testing and for letting us know.

Igneousflame

Post by Igneousflame » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, Rim.

stevencirile

Post by stevencirile » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 am

Dear all,
I figured I would chime in agian. Please be aware that if anyone is using any type of interface for a true studio DAW like situation with Auria or any daw Apple app software-or a PC for that matter only one company solved the latency issue when monitoring for tracking and more important PUNCHING IN. And that is Stienberg. To be very clear it is a known Fact steinberg OWNS THIS TECHNOLOGY AND DOES NOT LIC. OR SHARE IT WITH ANYONE-meaning focusrite or well anyone.
So the bottom line is if you want an iPad to work just like an expensive PC or Mac Daw-you need to buy a steinberg brand interface period. I've tried them all----seriously all...and discovered this tidbit of info. I bought a ur44. Reasonable price decent inputs...but any of the ur series will work. And to elaborate yes I have a pro setup-PC daw with an Rme hammerfall soundcard and nuendo 7. Auria along with the ur444 works exactly the same as far as latency be eliminated and stability.
Steven Cirile

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:43 am

I'm not sure about that... The latency issue was an iOS problem and is now solved in 9.3. There's nothing Steinberg or any other interface manufacturer could have done to solve it, as it was an Apple bug.

Rim

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Rim wrote:I'm not sure about that... The latency issue was an iOS problem and is now solved in 9.3. There's nothing Steinberg or any other interface manufacturer could have done to solve it, as it was an Apple bug.

Rim
I am using iOS 9.3.5 with the latest - reinstalled today - Auria Pro and get latency on monitoring input on headphones or speakers. It makes impossible to listen to a track and record a second track in time with it. No other apps loaded and the cpu monitor seems fine. I am using a 2 year old iPad Air one.

I have tried with an iTrack dock and a simple guitar interface. Both the same. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:59 pm

What's your buffer size set to in Auria? The number in parentheses tells you the actual buffer size in use currently.

RIm