midi drum noob question

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gwishin
Expert

midi drum noob question

Post by gwishin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a workable solution for recording some drums. My drummer has access to a Roland TD-4 kit and he sent me a (single stereo) track that was recorded from I'm guessing the headphone jack. It sounds like crap and I can't pan anything.

I'm hoping that he can re-record it as a MIDI file and then I can use LYRA's samples by duplicating his file and just using one "pitch" of the MIDI per drum until I have a kit made. Is that a viable solution? Or is there a better one?

Anyway, if it is, he will use Cubase to record his drums in MIDI format and then send it to me. Will I have any compatibility issues between Auria Pro and Cubase?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer this. Like the subject says, I am an absolute noob as far as MIDI goes. Thanks again.

Corey W
Expert

Re: midi drum noob question

Post by Corey W » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 am

Hi gwishin,
Having your drummer provide you with a MIDI file is definitely the easiest solution here. Whether he records it into Cubase or any other DAW, you will be able to do a lot more with it then a stereo audio file of the mixed drums.
You may have to move some of the MIDI notes depending on what note numbers the TD-4 uses to output the drums, but it should be a pretty easy job and then all you have to do is assign an instrument to the MIDI track in Lyra.

-Corey

gwishin
Expert

Re: midi drum noob question

Post by gwishin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Thank you Corey!