Anyone using Auria on iPad Pro?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

giomakyo
Expert

Anyone using Auria on iPad Pro?

Post by giomakyo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi,

I'm on an iPad 3 and on the verge of upgrading. Debating between iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro.
Is anyone out there using the Pro? Other then the larger screen, is there a noticeable improvement in performance and the ability to handle large projects in Auria?

Thanks,

Gio

stromberg-carlson
Expert

yes

Post by stromberg-carlson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:24 am

there is discussion on this forum already on folks who use the ipad pro.
i purchased the pro just to use auria.

this is my first ifruit product (massive android fanboy) and i normally work on hardware, but picked up the ipad pro for all of the nice music apps to keep me busy on trips away from my main studio.

all that nonsense said,

the ipad pro has 4gb of ram, larger screen and faster processor. auria pro is now optimized for the ipad pros large screen size, so that is a plus.

you can probably get a used/second hand ipad pro now for the price of an air 2 if you dont want to pay the extra ends for a new ipad pro.

if money's no object, the ipad pro is highly recommended.

by the by, if you are one of those cats who like to upgrade ifruit devices each year, there are rumors apple are going to release a new ipad product in march/april....

pegleg85
Expert

Re: Anyone using Auria on iPad Pro?

Post by pegleg85 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:56 am

I went from ipad4 to iPad Pro. I could never go back.

The speed. The extra screen real estate. Controlling the knobs with Apple pencil - pleasure.

I especially like the ipad Pro screen mode where you can access all 4 plug-ins in the strip from the mixer view instead of having to open an FX window.

I got the pad pro just for Auria and I am thrilled with the upgrade.

giomakyo
Expert

Post by giomakyo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 am

"by the by, if you are one of those cats who like to upgrade ifruit devices each year, there are rumors apple are going to release a new ipad product in march/april...."

Dude, you're talking to someone who's still on a 2012 iPad ;-)
Thx for the advice tho'!

giomakyo
Expert

Post by giomakyo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:26 am

Pegleg,

I have been using a stylus on my iPad ever since I started working with apps which simulated knobs ;-)

Do you find a clear difference/advantage with the iPad iPencil vs. a normal stylus?
My understanding was the pressure sensitivity would be great for illustrating, but not sure how it would work with musical apps.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

get the pencil!

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:51 am

i have the pencil as well and with more things on the screen now that auria is optimized for it, the pencil really helps to pinpoint right on the money.

the pencil has some heft to it and glides over the screen with ease. i use the pencil even for daily navigating around the ipad pro (web browsing, playing with keyboards apps, etc).

with ios9 latest beta, that "casual" use of the pencil is not offered. seems apple broke that option of using the stylus to web browse and things like that...

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:47 pm

giomakyo wrote:Pegleg,

I have been using a stylus on my iPad ever since I started working with apps which simulated knobs ;-)

Do you find a clear difference/advantage with the iPad iPencil vs. a normal stylus?
My understanding was the pressure sensitivity would be great for illustrating, but not sure how it would work with musical apps.
I used to use Auria on iPad4 with a regular stylus. That was better than my finger tip, but a bit clunky. With the pencil, oh my, SOOO much more precise. I would say that about 35% of the time I used stylus before, now I 99% use pencil. I use pencil with everything. I wish I had the artistic talent to use it with drawing apps but I use it with spreadsheets, note taking, Auria, everything.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Pencil lovers will apparently need to be cautious before upgrading to 9.3 when it arrives. From what I've read Apple has removed much of the pencil's ability to interact with anything except drawing fields in the beta. I gather there is quite an outcry from Pro testers so hopefully the functionality will be restored before it goes live. I'm looking to get an iPad pro as well and this gives me serious pause...

stromberg-carlson
Expert

It's most likely not coming back...

Post by stromberg-carlson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:32 pm

That feature has been removed for some time and likely isn't going to be implemented. Most likely due to potential screen damage with the pencil.

I will miss the functionality but such is life...

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Happily, Apple just announced that the full pencil functionality will return before 9.3 is released. :)

http://www.imore.com/pencilers-rejoice- ... navigation

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Tovokas wrote:Happily, Apple just announced that the full pencil functionality will return before 9.3 is released. :)

http://www.imore.com/pencilers-rejoice- ... navigation
I had already asked for a refund. Not really, but had intense thoughts about that.

Patch

newbie has no idea

Post by Patch » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi all I'm new to Auria and have got my self a iPad pro.i have no real experiance with recoding so I'm going to put up many posts lol.
First of all after 3 months of hard work my iPad pro I had a message come up saying cpu overload! Then auria crashed I couldn't open auria for days then I got lucky got back in but had to delete the song I've been working so hard on as it was the only song that keep crashing with cpu warning. I did manage to find a mix down version of the song when I was experimenting with Auria but I can't edit that file drums are out of wak.any way of editing the mixdown version to take my drums out as it's the only copy of that song I so desperately need. Thank you for any advice

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:54 am

CPU overloads can be quite common if you use a lot of effects at once. Some of the FabFilter plugins can use a lot of CPU in certain modes, as they are very high quality (desktop equivalents). Twin 2 can also use a lot of CPU in certain patches. The best way to handle this is to freeze or bounce tracks (or use less effects).

There's also an iOS bug which causes CPU usage to be high unnecessarily. This should get fixed in iOS 9.3

Rim

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

So whats the verdict with the Ipad Air 2 ? I know its not as powerful as the Pro but does it run smooth when running Auria? For the most part my main rig is a MacBook Pro and Logic Pro X, and what I do in Auria gets exported to Logic. Im about to upgrade my Ipad but I dont know if I want a screen a big as the Pro, plus I can get 128 gigs on the Air 2 for $300 cheaper than the Pro. I'm pretty much sold on the Air 2, but Im hoping it'll be more than enough for Auria, the only reason Im updating is to run Auria better than its running for me now.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:30 pm

The Air2 is every bit as powerful as a Core 2 Duo Mac, so all benchmarks say. Since I used to run Logic on one of these, I can vouch for the power of the Air2, even still having the Air 1.

But things aren't this simple.

Unfortunately, the bottleneck isn't the hardware anymore, but iOS and its ridiculous limitations. Even more unfortunately, these also affect the iPad Pro, despite te overall performance gains, and therefore keep me from upgrading my Air 1 at all.

Hopefully, iOS10 will solve at least some of these issues, for example allowing individual apps to use more than 512 mb of RAM. Until then, there is no point in having more powerful hardware if I cannot use the full potential of it.