Record with mic or plug in?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Teresaymc

Record with mic or plug in?

Post by Teresaymc » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:55 am

Hello I am brand new,
I was able to import a Satriani backing track over to auria and I tried to just set the iPad next to my amp and record the lead tracks. I noticed that there is an annoying delay doing this. I assume it will be better to plug straight in? I will need to find the device for iPad to 1/4" jack for a better sound?
Can someone let me know if I am on the right track here? I have protools 8 and am just trying something new. I also may want to import my protools tracks over to auria as well to play around. Any advice on this also. Sorry for so many questions at once haha.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Record with mic or plug in?

Post by Corey W » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Teresaymc,
If you are looking for the most basic input device to record your guitar beyond the built in iPad mic, check out the IK iRig: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/
All of the IK Multimedia devices will work as well as any USB interface that is Class Compliant (most of the new interfaces are).

You can export your Pro Tools session as an AAF file and then import the AAF into Auria. AAF will retain your waveform edits, volume, panning and automation data. Make sure to burn in any plugins you have running on the tracks in Pro Tools if you like the sound as those will not carry over. Also, MIDI is not included in AAF imports/exports, so those will have to be transferred separately.

-Corey

Teresaymc

Post by Teresaymc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info
I bought the I rig HD and actually patched in my pedal board through this device. It was okay but sounds like the quality isn't quite there. I assume it's because the tubes of the amp are a big part of the sound.
Can I mic the amp through the I rig or do I have to purchase the amplitude app and also how does it sound?

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:44 pm

@Teresaymc How do you record your guitar parts with Pro Tools?

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:08 pm

I have to echo Supanorton. How were you doing this on your laptop/desktop. If you were just recording with the built in mic, the quality can't have been good.

If you want to use your pedal board, I would get something like the iRig Pro, that you can use a mic with, and mic your amp. Otherwise you probably want to get some amp modelling software, like Amplitube. There are a number of them: Amplitube, Tonestack, Jam-up, Bias. And that's just a partial list. They all also have in app purchases. As to which is best, you'll find plenty of debate on that here and there. Amplitube for some reason seems to be disliked but lots of people, I'm good with it. I like Bias FX better, I like both the amps and the pedals in it.

Jam-up, Tonestack and Amplitube all have free versions you can try, to see if you like the basics.

On the plus side, for the cost of a decent microphone, you can pick up a lot of great stuff.

Teresaymc

Post by Teresaymc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I import backing tracks and use a mic next to my speaker for the rhythm and lead guitar tracks. Not sure if this is the best way but it seems to sound the best because you get that true tube sound. I appreciate your help.