live recording monitoring issues

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rodrorc51

live recording monitoring issues

Post by rodrorc51 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:47 am

needless to say I'm new to home recording, but i've recently started recording songs track by track... scratch track first, then drums, guitar and Bass last, im using mics on live drums and on live guitar amps and bass amps, (no DI)

MY PROBLEM is that during the playback of the already recorded tracks, i also get signal from whatever im trying to record through the head phones and i cant get rid of it. no mater if i mute the tracks being recorded or i turn down the faders.. this is only a problem because i dont have a studio or separate rooms for the live amp and the player to be in, so i can already hear the live sound of what ever im recording, so i just need the other tracks amplified to keep up with the room sound.

for example, once the drums were recorded, i now go onto the Guitar, i mic the amp put my headphones on (earbuds) and over them a set of noise reduction ear covers (like the ones shooters use) to drown out some of room sound, i start the tracking and hear the drums and click track and as soon as i start playing i not only hear the rooms sound but i also hear through the earbuds the sound being captured by the mics on the guitar. so the room sound puls the sound on my headphones make the guitar way too loud.. im also using a headphone amp that is connected to the headphone outs of my focusrite 18i20 and i've also tried using the monitors out but it didnt help

any suggestions

Corey W
Expert

Re: live recording monitoring issues

Post by Corey W » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14 pm

This is pretty common in the 18i20 and trips a lot of people up. The 18i20's direct monitoring is enabled which is why you are hearing all of your inputs no matter what you change in Auria.
You have to change the settings of your interface and enable 'DAW Tracking' in the Scarlett Mix Control with your 18i20 connected to a Mac or PC.

-Corey

rodrorc51

Re: live recording monitoring issues

Post by rodrorc51 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:17 pm

thanks Corey. i was hoping it was something easy like this. :D