Recording midi sustain pedal input problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

R&M

Recording midi sustain pedal input problem

Post by R&M » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:25 pm

My sustain pedal is working fine except when recording a midi track. As long as a key is being pressed on the keyboard it records. However if you press a key then the sustain pedal and release the key while the pedal is still being pressed, the note continues to play (as it should) but no longer gets recorded. This happens reguardless of which instrument is selected. The pedal is sending cc# 64 as it should and it activates the hold function in the apps. Any ideas?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Recording midi sustain pedal input problem

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Are you sure you're using the latest Auria version (2.03)? This issue should have been fixed in 2.03. You can check what version you're on by going into the settings page. The version number is on the bottom right.

Rim

R&M

Post by R&M » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am using 2.03. I didn't realize this was a previous issue but I don't think it's completely fixed. I have checked and rechecked all my settings and am stumped. I tried Nave, Nlog Pro and Animoog thru IAA midi tracks and with two different controllers as well as different channels. iPad Air 2, iOS 9.2.1

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:08 pm

I think I was confusing this with another similar bug that got fixed. Can you describe what you mean by the note not being recorded? If you do a simple test, with a single note, are you saying this note never shows up in the piano roll if you press the sustain pedal like you describe?

Rim

R&M

Post by R&M » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:10 am

Sort of. When I press a key on an external controller, the note plays and the midi note gets recorded like it should and does show up in the piano roll. However, when you press the sustain pedal to hold the note and you release the key, the note will still play while the sustain pedal is being pressed but the midi note no longer records. Notes show up as long as a key is being pressed with or without the pedal being pressed. It's when you are pressing the pedal and after you release the key when it stops recording the note.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:24 am

Hi R&M. I was previously having an issue with hanging notes when using a sustain pedal within Auria (Lyra &Twins) but Rim very quickly fixed that issue in 2.03. I'll have a go at recording using the sustain pedal later after work and get back to you.

R&M

Post by R&M » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:20 am

Not having a hanging note problem. I guess another way to put it is if you use the hold function in a synth app like Nlog or Nave etc. for example, then press a note on its virtual keyboard with the hold engaged, the note will get recorded in the piano log as long as the key is being pressed but will stop being recorded when the key is released (hold still engaged). The note will continue to create its sound as it should but just stops being recorded in the piano log. Same goes for when using an external keyboard controller and a sustain pedal connected. The sustain pedal just activates the note hold function via a cc#64 command in the virtual synth app. When releasing the sustain pedal or hold function the note does quit sounding as it should and does not hang. Just doesn't record the note when being sustained or held with a key no longer being pressed.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:39 am

I just tested this, and I don't see any issues here. Here's what I did:

1. Connect an external keyboard
2. Create a new project and add one MIDI track (Lyra Grand Piano)
3. Record enable the track
4. Press record and play.
5. Press a key
6. Press the sustain pedal
7. Release the key
8. Press stop on Auria's transport

After this test, what I have in the piano roll is a very short note, which is what you would expect. When I rewind and press play, it sounds normal - I hear a long sustained note, just like I played it. Remember that a piano roll only shows you what the key was doing, it doesn't show you the sustain (unless you switch the view to look at controller 64), so you will only see a short note (even though you'll hear a long one because of the sustain pedal message).

Rim

R&M

Post by R&M » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:31 am

Ok, got it. I guess I was expecting to see the entire note as it sounds in the piano roll. I am noticing that in some apps only the actual recorded note sounds but not the sustained portion. Obviously not an Auria problem. Thanks for the replies. I hope Wavelabs is paying you well. You have a masterpiece of an app in Auria Pro. I am a long time Logic user and your apps capabilities are blowing me away to only be an iPad app. Also you have the best support I have seen to date in the virtual world. Thanks again.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:01 pm

No problem, thanks!

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:05 pm

R&M wrote: Also you have the best support I have seen to date.
Couldn't agree more.