Loading projects mutes audio on USB interface

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

Loading projects mutes audio on USB interface

Post by Morgan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:40 pm

RIM, a strange thing is happening since Auria update and Apple update. I have Focusrite 18i8 connected to my IPad but now when I switch projects all audio is muted. I have to keep unplugging the interface to get the audio back each time. Any ideas. All was well until the updates. Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Loading projects mutes audio on USB interface

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Sounds like an iOS issue perhaps, since nothing in Auria has changed in the way it talks to audio interfaces. Does this only happen with that particular project?

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Every time I switch any project the interface goes silent then I have to unplug the USB connector then plug it in again.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Ok, thanks. We'll test this with the 18i8 we have here and report back asap.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:13 pm

RIM it seems to have effected other Apps as well. I have tried ToneStack standalone and that has failed. Prior to the IPad update ToneStack was working superbly as an IAA plugin within Auria. I hope you experience the same problem. If you do I might see if I can revert back to 9.1 somehow. What a bummer.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:53 pm

If that's the case, it's an iOS 9.2 issue and it'll be something we'll have to alert Apple about.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:34 am

RIM I have this morning called Focusrite tech support and they confirm that the IOS 9.2 update is causing instability problems with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface. I didn't ask if any other interfaces were effected but needless to say I am now really pissed off because Apple say I cannot backtrack to 9.1. I now cannot use Auria as the 18i8 is the only interface I have. I have no words other than expletives on how I feel about Apple at this moment in time. Best warn other users. If you could give Apple a kick I would appreciate it. Thanks. Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:02 am

We'll report this to Apple for sure! Also, we'll be testing other interfaces to see if this is an isolated case, or if all USB interfaces are affected.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Rim, I managed to find a 9.1 file and instructions to reverse the 9.2 update and all is well now with the Focusrite 18i8 interface. What a relief. Take care. Trevor

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Our initial tests haven't shown problems with other USB interfaces, including some smaller Scarlett ones, so it may just be the 18i8 with an issue - which would mean an eventual firmware update from Focusrite.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Morgan wrote:RIM I have this morning called Focusrite tech support and they confirm that the IOS 9.2 update is causing instability problems with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface. I didn't ask if any other interfaces were effected but needless to say I am now really pissed off because Apple say I cannot backtrack to 9.1. I now cannot use Auria as the 18i8 is the only interface I have. I have no words other than expletives on how I feel about Apple at this moment in time. Best warn other users. If you could give Apple a kick I would appreciate it. Thanks. Trevor
Which firmware have u installed on Scarlett? Which version of Scarlett mix control u have?
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

GuntharBecker
Expert

Post by GuntharBecker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm also having this issue with my 18i8. In my case it's only Auria that is giving me issues; any other app on my iPad passes audio through the focusrite with no issues.

I've also noticed that I can monitor (a mic through one of the front pre-amps) through my 18i8 with no other apps open and hear the signal fine. As soon as I open Auria, signal drops out to total silence. Exit out of Auria, sound comes right back...

I'm getting big time latency (with buffers set at their lowest) on apps like Bias and Tonestack, but they still pass audio to and from the 18i8.

At any rate, this is truly crushing to an 18i8 owner and I hope it gets resolved quickly and without having to roll back to 9.1.
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:47 pm

please report us ur fw version

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:51 am

Hi guys,
i havent't this issues about ios9.2 and auria or any other app.
Sound goes out from headphone in front and rear monitor, changing project or changing app.

I've tried Aura, Nanostudio, Garageband, Figure, Animoog, iMini, iSEM and many others apps.
No test for recording...

No problem with Focusrite 18i8, iOS9.2, Ipad Air 1 wifi+3g 128 Giga
But i't importanto to say i've installed (on year ago more or less) on my PC/Mac Scarlett Mixcontrol 1.9 beta 3, it updates Focusrite Firmware to a version bigger then Scarlett Mixcontrol 1.8 (i think)

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:47 am

Hi everyone, just to add a little bit more information about my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 it has mixer software 1.8.128.0, driver 2.5.1 API 3.0 and firmware version 608. When I spoke to Focusriite representative in the UK they advised I had the correct versions on board. If there is a current beta version around they did not mention it. The problems I had with Auria was that every time I loaded a different project the USB audio would go silent and I would have to unplug and replug the USB cable to get it to function again. It also presented latency issues that I couldn't overcome with any of the Auria settings. Latency for any IAA plugin would sit around a second or so between single input and output. Even running standalone Guitar Apps would result in intermittent operation having to frequently stop and start the App to get it to function. Focusrite acknowledged the problem and said they would pass it to there developers and refer the issue to Apple. As I could no longer use the 18i8 and aware of the fact that a resolution to the problem might take some time I called Apple support asking if I could step back from 9.2 to 9.1 on my IPad Pro and there answer was an emphatic NO. The fact that I now had a brick in my hand which could not be used for my music they couldn't give a stuff. In desperation I sort an independent forum that advised on the method to get back to 9.1 which I now have successfully done while I wait for Apple and Focusrite to sort out the problem. The site I went to was http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/12/08 ... m-ios-9-2/ but there are a couple of others that offer the same advice. It requires downloading a file in the order of 1.9 gig but it returned my IPad Pro to 9.1 and everything now works a hundred percent. I'm sure Focusrite will resolve the issue but very inconvenient to those who download 9.2 without knowing the consequences. Take care everyone and RIM and MATT the new version of Auria is fantastic. Well done. Trevor
Last edited by Morgan on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.