Small interface change request

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Re: Small interface change request

Post by Sparkle » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:18 am

@Rim " too cluttered " ?! ...But numbering along the top would unclutter by distinguishing one track from another.

If you think there would be too many characters to read .... Why not lose the " FX " ?... Seriously .
This is a common design fault I've noticed with app developers , who waste space permanently ( & create their own clutter ) by labelling such an obvious item ( presumably for newcomers ) even though after first use the newcomer has learnt the function & no longer needs the label for the rest of their life working with the app.
So for long term use , track number " 13 " is a more permanently useful daily need than " FX " .

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:42 am

Interface design is so much more than just practicality I'm afraid. Even simple screens take months of planning with a graphics designer and color consultant to get right. By cluttered I mean exactly that. Slapping a number into a box would certainly do the trick and make things easier to find ;) but in order to maintain the beauty of an interface, a lot more needs to be considered. Personally, I think it would make the GUI look more ugly, so I'm not a fan of the idea.

Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am

I wont argue further , but it's meant to be a working tool , not a piece of art , and it's counterproductive if music app devs are more concerned with winning aesthetic design awards at the expense of core functionality .
Mixers are inherently cluttered , but easily visible track numbering is usually the professional response to aid users.

King
Expert

Post by King » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:52 am

How about giving the user the "option" to rename the Fx button?

Maybe!
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:56 am

Sparkle, I don't disagree. It's tough to balance aesthetics and functionality, and I feel strongly about both. In practical terms it usually means functionality finds its way into Auria when I can find an aesthetically pleasing way to do it.

Rim