Auria/iPad boosting signal dramatically

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jeffnichos

Auria/iPad boosting signal dramatically

Post by Jeffnichos » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi all... Sorry, if this has been covered, I can't find the discussion.

I'm new to Auria, but not new to recording (familiar with multiple gain stages). I'm running Auria into an iPad mini through the Focusrite Itrack dock. First session was great, Focusrite pres very quiet for home project studio budget, and Auria did not require much adjustment on input gains. Second session was moving along well, got a couple tracks down, one on condenser, one bass lined in direct... Third track started the mess, direct lining an electric guitar (call me old-fashioned, I have a hard time not recording an amp). On about the third take, guitar track became extremely hot and overdriven... Direct monitoring via Focusrite sounds fine, and pre gain set well... The issue is in Auria, simply arming a track kicks signal well over sweet zone. I tried other cables, guitar, and reducing input signal as much as -20db or more, which helps, but never actually cleans it up, even when signal is dropped below usable levels.

I've restarted Auria, deleted from iPad and reinstalled. I even redownloaded Auria and installed on second iPad... No improvement. Oh, and this fuzz/overdrive is now confirmed to exist via line level track AND mic input (just tested with a sm57), again Focusrite direct monitor sounds great, while anything from an armed track sounds like garbage.

Anyone have any ideas? Any settings I haven't found in app or pad??
Many thanks,
J

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria/iPad boosting signal dramatically

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Have you tried adjusting the record level in Auria? If you tap and hold on the Rec Enable button, it gives you options, one of which is the record level control for that track.

Rim

Jeffnichos

Post by Jeffnichos » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi Rim,

Yes, as I mentioned, I reduced the recording level by more than 20 db, resulting in less distortion, and obviously less overall signal... But the fuzz is still there and the signal is too weak to be useful.

To reiterate, during first test session a couple weeks ago, I was able to get a good clean track through an sm57 with Auria recording level at +\- 0db, now it blasts the track meter upon arming the track.

NOTE: given that I am getting same problem with multiple iPads, I am reaching out to Focusrite as well to see if the interface's output is to blame.

Thanks again,
J

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:00 pm

It does sound like perhaps it's an interface issue. Do you have phantom power on by mistake? Some dynamic mics don't protect against it if it's on accidentally.

Rim

NYhaven

Post by NYhaven » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:12 pm

I've always had this problem using Auria with mic in/ out or usb condenser. Noticeable buzz, whereas multitrack studio doesn't have the same problem. Of course, Auria is the more serious daw, though..... :arrow:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:19 pm

I can assure you Auria doesn't have a "buzz" problem. Any kind of noise issue is taken very seriously, and recording is well tested here. NYhaven, if you're having an issue, please contact our support and we'll be happy to help you solve it. We have almost every interface here at the office, so we can duplicate your setup.

Rim

Jeffnichos

Post by Jeffnichos » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Definitely have phantom off, and I get same ugly overdriven mess via mic or line in... I'll let you know what I find chasing issue of interface output with Focusrite people...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Definitely sounds like an issue with some of the settings in your Focusrite app, or a hardware problem in the interface itself.

Rim