iOS Apps Preloading In-App Purchase Content?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JRSIV
Expert

iOS Apps Preloading In-App Purchase Content?

Post by JRSIV » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Am I mistaken in noticing that a great number of the iOS music production apps preload the entire apps in-app purchase content to your device from jumpstreet? Meaning when you purchase an expansion or Pro versio, etc. you are just paying for a digital key opening the door to data that is already on your device?

While this may not seem to be an issue, or taken even as a convenience to some, I at least would like to be able to decide if I want that extra data on my iPad I may not use. There are tons of examples I have ran into with the worst offenders being TableTop, BeatMaker, SampleTank, Neo-Soul Keys, iLectric Piano, Amplitube and there are many others to a lesser degree. I remember first trying out SampleTank in the free version and being amazed that the app size was well over 1GB. I thought if that was just for the free version imagine what it will be after buying some content packs, etc. But lo and behold when I dug it enough to spring for the full version there was no download that began and when checking the apps size again in Settings it was the same as before I bought the full version.

I can understand devs doing this to streamline coding or insuring the app is complete on the consumers device for updates or if there are demos that use the in-app purchase features or instruments, etc. Or in the case of apps like Neo-Soul Keys that let you try the keyboards with limited functionality for a short time; they want you to hear the Rhodes samples in all their glory to get you to buy the expansion.

On a desktop with TB's of storage this wouldn't be a concern. But on my 64GB Air 2 it can quickly get to be a P.I.T.A. With Neo-Soul Keys for example there are 2 of the 5 or 6 piano expansions they sell that I want and have bought. It would be nice to get back the 500MB of space I am losing by getting rid of the data for those pianos I don't want!

Anyone else notice this? Have an issue with it or better yet some solutions?
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Rim
Site Admin

Re: iOS Apps Preloading In-App Purchase Content?

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Yes, this is true. The reason why it's done like this, including in Auria is because of Apple's rules. Apple doesn't allow developers to add binary code to an app after it's been installed. So the only way to add additional functionality that you want to buy later is to include all the code for that functionality ahead of time. It's the only way it can work. This is true for all apps on the app store which feature in-app content.

Rim

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks Rim for the quick response, it has just been something I have noticed awhile. I really don't mind too much, especially for apps that I know I'm going to get every IAP for anyway.

Ever since getting into iOS earlier this year after my wife gifted me an Air 2 I have gained a great deal of respect for app developers. There seem to be a great deal of hoops you guys must somersault through in order to realize your vision. I understand how the tightly controlled and restrictive environment of iOS is part of the quality control and what makes it perform so well.

Even so, I can only imagine the frustration devs, especially new development teams, must go through getting along with the Cupertino rulebook.

Auria is incredible Rim and has become the main DAW of my setup. Looking forward to Auria Pro and the update for Auria, be cool...
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Cpu Red
Expert

Post by Cpu Red » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:58 am

But Korg Module is around 1 gig and the Ivory Piano Upgrade says it is around 2 gigs. Is that because all we are downloading is a sample set in that type of app? Another 2 gigs is the only thing holding me back from purchaipsing that upgrade.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:19 am

The Apple rule about this concerns binary content (executable code), media content. So sample, pictures, movies, etc are allowed to be downloaded. But things like plugins, features, etc are not.

Rim