Gating Plugins

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Gating Plugins

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:18 pm

I did find a couple of presets on Saturn which created a lot of noise when not playing. I'm believing that if i want to put a gate on these, I need to pick up the Fabfilter Pro-G, as it's the only gate in the store, and put it into the chain after Saturn. The inserts always come after the channel strip, so the gate there is not going to be of any use.

Have I got this right?

Johow
Expert

Re: Gating Plugins

Post by Johow » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:47 am

According to this drawing I'd say you have it right.
Attachments
image.jpg
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:00 am

Yup, unless there's some routing trick that I haven't been able to figure out. But I don't think so.

It's not a cheap plugin, the one in the channel strip works pretty good, except in this case. Well, I can live without using those presets for now.

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:20 am

If you have Tonestack, you might try closing all amps and effects and add Noisex!....
But I think you said your plan was to get rid of the amp sims....
I searched for a noise gate but like you said the only thing I cound fine is the in app purchase unless you want it as part of an amp sim spread...good luck!
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:39 pm

The presets in Saturn are not all dedicated for guitar. You will find some presets with modulations that are continuous that is that they feedback loop on purpose. You can adjust these modulations attack and release within the plugin. You may also consider wave editing of the track to cut out the silent parts where you don't play. You may also use automation to accomplish this. I own the ProG and I highly recommend it especially for electronic music effects. Cheers and hope this helped.~~_/)~~~*

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks, Anthony. I'm so in love with the quality the FF stuff, I'll probably end up getting all of it at one point or another. The multiband compressor is probably more than I need, and I didn't think I'd need the gate, but it's not a lot of money. Pickup Volcano at some point, too.

Wolle

Post by Wolle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:48 am

rickwaugh wrote: The multiband compressor is probably more than I need, and I didn't think I'd need the gate...
Hi Rick,

you might be right with PRO MB. It's a bit over the top for gating only but the downwards expansion works quite well for that purpose too. You might want to have a look at this FabFilter video on youtube, where Dan Warrall does a great job, explaining the gating capabilities of the PRO MB.

http://youtu.be/ek0Oea6kvBA

I personally do have PRO G and PRO MB and i'm quite happy with both of them though PRO MB it's "a bit" CPU intensive on my iPAD 2.

I hope you get your problems fixed.

Wolle :)

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:30 am

I'll take a look, thanks.