Drumagog track splitting

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Drumagog track splitting

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:35 pm

is there anyway with the filtering in drumagog to split a track by tone or volume? If I use one mic to record a track, and I'm hitting two very different sounding hits, can I copy that track, split it by that tone or volume, so I get hi hat and snare, for example, on different tracks?

richardyot
Expert

Re: Drumagog track splitting

Post by richardyot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:48 am

It depends on how different the sounds are, I don't think it would be possible to do it with gating for example since getting rid of the quiet sounds would be easy, but getting rid of the loud sounds less so.

EQ would work better, you would probably need Pro Q to isolate each part, and then feed that into Drumagog.

I've zipped up a sample project here where I used Pro Q before Drumagog to isolate a hihat from a snare. The snare is hard to remove completely from the hihat because there is a lot of HF overlap.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks, that's an interesting thought, but I think I've found the answers to my problem with Voxkit. Does exactly what I need. Then I can use Drumagog. What's great is there isn't any bleed at all with that approach.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:53 am

Voxkit is a pretty good solution. Once Auria Pro lands the workflow is going to be even better, with the audio quantize tools.

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Here's my new toy, I'm just waiting for Auria Pro to bring it all together.
image.jpg
It uses an Alesis Trigger IO and some home made trigger pads to send midi to the iPad. So far I have been able to trigger sounds from thumbjam, drumjam, iM1, and soundfont pro. My goal originaly goal was to record each drum to a different midi channel/track and use Drumagog to replace, now with all of these sound sources, I may just leave it as midi and use whatever sound source fits. I still have to build a bass drum pedal but will soon.

Your voxkit looks like a winner though for a bit less $$$, but I get 10 different sounds plus open and closed hat.
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Nice. The things we do. Got to build a little kit. :D

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 pm

With Voxkit, just a collection of things that sound different when you hit'm. Just come up with a method to connect them into a unit and your good to go.
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Yah, it's just got to be something very stable, and something very sturdy. I had a magazine sitting on a stool, and it moved quite a bit. Some kind of small stand/table, with a way to secure things.

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:50 pm

With Voxkit, just a collection of things that sound different when you hit'm. Just come up with a method to connect them into a unit and your good to go.
I love making musical instruments, all of my guitars and a few other things are home made.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 am

You'd love my strat. I made the body out of mahogany when I was in my early 20s, copied off a strat I had at the time. I roughed it out. Through neck. I then dragged it around for close to 40 years. Finally had enough money, and was looking at it, and thought I should finish it. A friend who is a repair guy build a pickguard for me, two American strat pickups, and and an Original BIll Lawrence humbucker in the bridge position. A friend has started building guitars, and he had the jigs to cut the fretboard. Finished it with Tru-Oil. Sounds and plays amazing. Looks incredible.

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:58 am

Very nice & one of a kind!!!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:17 pm

That's beautiful Rick. I am a woodworker also, but I don't have the guts to try something that complex. Maybe when I retire.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Actually wasn't that hard. Rough cut with a bandsaw. Only three pieces of, as the neck runs right through the body. Rasp drum on an electric drill to get close, then elbow grease. The fretboard you need the jigs.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:39 pm

That's a gorgeous guitar, Rick. Nice work.