Which ipad to use?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dad54

Which ipad to use?

Post by Dad54 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:10 am

Hi guys- new to this so please excuse if this is going back over old ground
I use ipad2 and work 99% with midi, IAA and Audiobus. I currently use Cubasis for midi but am looking to Auria Pro for a complete package. I am also looking to upgrade the ipad but am aware of the audio problems with air2 and threading (sorry but that's the limit of my computer knowledge!!)
So the question guys is iPad Air or iPad air2 - which will give me the best experience with auria and auria pro
Thanks for reading

Sinapsya
Expert

Re: Which ipad to use?

Post by Sinapsya » Wed May 06, 2015 4:19 pm

the next one :-) lol

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Wed May 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Auria and I imagine Auria Pro maybe more so, is definitely a resource hog. I have an Air 2 and though I have had my problems with the apps, it definitely has more horsepower as well as more ram. The problem some people were having with Auria on the air2 (scrollview bug) is supposedly fixed in 8.3, but also in 8.3, we are denied access to our files from outside apps like ifunbox and imazing. My iPad was doing great I thought on 8.3 and then Auria crashed and I lost access to those files. I still don't know what caused the crash but I had to go back to 8.2 in order to get my files safely off the iPad. I don't regret getting the air2 at all because it is the fastest of the ipads to date and I have not had a proble with the scrollview bug that was one of the biggest problems with the air2 and Auria. So air2 has twice the ram and a faster processor, that's why I went with it. Pick your poison.....
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 pm

I'm using a 128G iPad4 with absolutely no problems - BUT! I never upgraded the software past 7.1.2...as I watched the
horror stories of folks going through 8.x.x, decided I didn't need to mess with something that wasn't broken.

I only hope that AuriaPro will work on this platform when it's released.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed May 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Ipad air 2, iOS 8.3. It's crashed a few times. I would still say, go for the fastest, newest iPad you can afford with the most storage, and assume that the issues will be worked out.

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Wed May 06, 2015 11:26 pm

rickwaugh wrote:Ipad air 2, iOS 8.3. It's crashed a few times. I would still say, go for the fastest, newest iPad you can afford with the most storage, and assume that the issues will be worked out.
That's pretty much the way I felt as well and the ifunbox/8.3 issue didn't bug me until I needed it. Now that I have used it to save my ass, I'd like to keep it so I'll hang at 8.2 for a while and see what shakes out.
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

Dad54

Post by Dad54 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:08 am

Thanks everyone, very helpful and reassuring