Amp/Pedal Modelling

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Amp/Pedal Modelling

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am

I'm currently using Amplitube for my guitar amp and pedal modelling. It came for free with my iRig Pro, and I have since picked up a the Orange bundle, and the Fender bundle. I'm getting some great tones out of this, and through Audiobus, it works well into Auria.

Are there any plugins or other software that work well. Not that I have had any issues for far, but the memory footprint of Amplitube, Audiobus and Auria tend to be a bit much for my iPad 3 at times. And I'm always looking for new things to try. :D

mrufino1
Expert

Re: Amp/Pedal Modelling

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 am

Many options. Jamup pro xt, bias (just amps, but incredible), overloud (auria plugin), tonestack, ampkit, and flying haggis are the ones that come to mind. There may be more. Jamup and tonestack both have free versions to try, and both are currently having sales. Buy the full version rather than upgrading through the free one if you decide to buy as they are separate apps.
I personally use Jamup and bias (I'm a bassist), but do own tonestack, more for the plate sim than anything else. Tonestack only has one bass amp, so I haven't really used it for that purpose.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks, after posting, I was able to find Jam Up. Lots of other possibilities there, too, in your list. Going to have to check them out.

I'm both a guitarist and a bassist, I found the basic Amplitube bass amp to be quite decent. With the two bundles I purchased, I got a 59 Fender Bassman model, and an Orange AD200. I particularly like the bassman - I have a Gibson Ripper with a Dimarzio P-Bass pickup on it, and it's got some great punch and edge to it.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:29 pm

That dimarzio p bass pickup is fantastic, I have one from an old ibanez bass, it's been installed in various basses here. I like the bass amps in Jamup pro, they have 2 bass packs. I've used it live on occasion when I wasn't able to being my regular setup, and I definitely have recorded with it. The effects in the bass pack 2 are especially good- the model of the ebs octave pedal is amazing, and that, combined with the bass big muff and bass master pedals gives a head ripping distorted bass sound that doesn't sound harsh.

I "play" guitar in the sense that I do have one and know the basic chords, but I don't make the guitar or amps sound good at all...but guitarists I know who have used Jamup and bias love it. I'm not a fan of amplitube, not for any particular reason. I guess I just never really got into it, but Jamup and bias serve my needs quite well.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 am

Each guitar app can sound good, and I've got just about all of them. I should say that I rarely use high gain settings. I really like Tone Stack for my single coil guitars and Bias for my Humbucker guitars. I do like the THM Overloud plugin within Auria, but I find it difficult to use because the screen for the controls is a bit too small. AmpKit is also very good. If I had to pick one today, it would be Tone Stack; the ZoneVerb effect is incredible.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am

Overloud is pretty nice, and hopefully as it operates inside Auria should be OK memory-wise.

Bias is also a favourite of mine, but that one is definitely a resource hog.

Also Flying Haggis is really good, and not too resource intensive. Beautiful tone IMO.

Finally Tonestack is also well worth checking out, but like Bias it can be resource hungry.

In my opinion Amplitube is probably the least appealing of all the amp sims on iOS, although you can get some decent clean tones out of it, however the effects modelling is pretty poor. Jamup is better, but it can't match the tones that the better apps produce.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Love Overloud Ampkit and tone stack
Mostly use Overloud 8) but only really like the 2x12 cabs But with all of these apps I use ad480 or PianoVerb for reverb PSP delay for delays and sometimes use the PSP delay as a stereo enhancer. And also use stereo designer as an enhancer as well

Also sometimes use old timer comp in the first effects slot.

Oh and have the reverb in the slot above the delay in the effects slots don't know why it's sounds better

8)

Have Jamup and bias they are just not for me I know I know them two apps are well loved by loads

Just not me 8) no offence meant :mrgreen:

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

I keep seeing posts on the Audiobus forum that Flying Haagis is a good low latency app for guitar, although I have not tried it myself. I have been a Jam-up guy since they introduced it.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Waterbound

Post by Waterbound » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 am

I first got my experience with Overloud THM as a VST plugin for my PC DAW and fell in love with it. This is a slim downed but highly customizable plugin for Auria that has several amp/effect/cab/mic (rack and or pedals) components available that just fit in the mix perfectly. There is enough configurations that can be made to use for plain jamming, practicing and of course recording. I have a reference track I use often which has different clean guitar tracks and use that to apply the guitar fx and preview the tone before I record. I think its well worth it either way.

No doubt the Jamup/BIAS tones are phenomenal, I wouldn't say the overall tone is incredibly better than Overloud but the tweak ability is definitely better. I have a great time practicing when mobile using Jamup etc., it seems that there is a considerable high cpu usage when using as a plugin for Auria so I tend to use Overloud more and more when needing an amp sim for recording due to the cleaner footprint cpu-wise.

Another great sounding sim is tonestack, there is a lot in that app, multiple signal chains etc., even the free version is pretty decent but the biggest memory hog of all IMO when using with AB or Auria etc.

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:49 pm

ATTN: Guitarists...if you have Auria and use Overloud THM...here is a project I created for you guys to use that has my rig all set up and ready to rock! 2 massive channels panned left and right with the subgroup running rack effects...load it up and ROCK OUT! Be sure to arm both tracks for guitars while playing and recording https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntpzwr96bdyw ... W9Zia?dl=0
I'm just a shy guy with a big pick...

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 am

Here's some stuff I layed down with Overloud THM last night https://soundcloud.com/buddemeyer72/sne ... oud-thm-at

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Man, that sounds great. Got that bite to it I've been trying to get. I have mostly played acoustic guitar and electric bass, so my chops are not where I want them to be yet. 8)

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:38 am

rickwaugh wrote:Man, that sounds great. Got that bite to it I've been trying to get. I have mostly played acoustic guitar and electric bass, so my chops are not where I want them to be yet. 8)
Thanks man, I record a lot of different musicians (myself included) and have done extensive work with Positive Grid (JamUp) in the first couple of years of their initial release to design presets and sound design. Overloud is my main plugin for guitars now....absolutely love it. Hit me up if you need anything. You can download the project for that clip here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntpzwr96bdyw ... W9Zia?dl=0

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:45 pm

If I can add my 2 cents, I think Jam up pro just sounds better than Amplitube. Another thing, When I first bought Amplitube I bought the Iphone version, not really knowing there was actually a different version for Ipad. So I got all the add on pedals, amp expansion packs, drums, pretty much everything they offered, only later to find out when I got an Ipad and bought the Ipad version that none of my IAP could be used for the Ipad version so If I wanted the I had to buy them all over again.
I kind of like that with Jam up pro xt, its universal, so I dont have to buy any expansions again when I just want to use my Iphone. that's a big plus for me. And Jam up is much more flexible as far as just being able to drag your pedals and amp around if you want to rearrange where things are in your chain. I do have to admit I like the 8track Amplitube offers over the one in Jam up pro, especially once you get the studio add-on.
But as far as tonality goes I like Jam up better.
Bias Amps, another great choice, but to me if you get Jam up you pretty much have to get Bias lol.
I cant comment on the Ipad version of THM but the desktop version is pretty solid. I may make the plunge one day but Im pretty much covered. Another win for Jam up pro is they have 2 bass expansions bundles.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:28 am

Strizbiz wrote:If I can add my 2 cents, I think Jam up pro just sounds better than Amplitube. Another thing, When I first bought Amplitube I bought the Iphone version, not really knowing there was actually a different version for Ipad. So I got all the add on pedals, amp expansion packs, drums, pretty much everything they offered, only later to find out when I got an Ipad and bought the Ipad version that none of my IAP could be used for the Ipad version so If I wanted the I had to buy them all over again.
I kind of like that with Jam up pro xt, its universal, so I dont have to buy any expansions again when I just want to use my Iphone. that's a big plus for me. And Jam up is much more flexible as far as just being able to drag your pedals and amp around if you want to rearrange where things are in your chain. I do have to admit I like the 8track Amplitube offers over the one in Jam up pro, especially once you get the studio add-on.
But as far as tonality goes I like Jam up better.
Bias Amps, another great choice, but to me if you get Jam up you pretty much have to get Bias lol.
I cant comment on the Ipad version of THM but the desktop version is pretty solid. I may make the plunge one day but Im pretty much covered. Another win for Jam up pro is they have 2 bass expansions bundles.
JamUp does have some killer tones...I worked with them since before their app was even released and their software is awesome. However, when it comes to recording....nothing beats Overloud THM for me. Being able to record 2-6 tracks with different pans, amps, fx, mics, and cabs all at the same time with a single input....no other software can do that at the moment. Now if they will only port MarkBass to iPad!!!! I still use JamUp to record bass tracks ;)