Ipad 4, latest IOS and lost sound from internal speakers

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Waterbound

Ipad 4, latest IOS and lost sound from internal speakers

Post by Waterbound » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi,
I have read as many threads as possible trying to determine what my issue is but have been unable to successfully figure the source of my problems. I was using Auria this past weekend with my Ipad 4 which has the most update IOS etc. I decided to pull out my Presonus 1818vsl (which I used literally 3 times since I purchased last year) since I found out that I should be able to utilize the 1818vsl and Auria with a powered hub. After fooling around and finally getting everything working, I made a quick 2 track of some acoustic playing. Everything was working as it is supposed to until I started adding FX to my tracks then I got the dreaded crashing within Auria. So I shut down Auria, rebooted etc., which resolved the crashing until it would occur again. Finally with both tracks laid down and pretty much done for the day, I unplugged everything from the Ipad and closed apps and rebooted.

Problem is now, with everything unplugged and just trying to play my 2 track recording , I see the meters moving (individual tracks, master) like everything is working but no sound from the internal Ipad speakers. I checked all the settings that have been listed in these threads including mic processing on, Audiobus mode off, rebooted etc., and nothing will come out of the speakers using Auria. I have no subgroups assigned, just simple 2 track recording and even tried with disabled FX.

If I use headphones, I hear everything perfectly. I read that sometimes using Audiobus is a good way to test and sure enough, If I use Audiobus with only Auria as an input, the sound works through the speakers.

I tried closing the project and opening the Approach demo and same thing, no sound, everything works within Audiobus but no internal speaker play.

I tried recording a new test with my Apogee Jam which I have used with Auria for the past year or so and same results, everything recorded, signals on the tracks and master but no sound from Auria to the internal Ipad speakers.

I have checked the general settings, allowed sound etc., closed apps and rebooted etc., nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

I'm clueless how nothing comes thru the speakers in Auria by itself but utilizing Audiobus, it works fine! By the way, audio such as notifications, other apps, Youtube etc., all work through the speakers with the exception of Auria. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Ipad 4, latest IOS and lost sound from internal speakers

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:29 pm

First of all, you shouldn't be experiencing any crashing. If you are, I'd like to know exactly what you're doing to make it crash so I can duplicate it here and fix anything that might be wrong on Auria's end. Let me know the exact steps you take to get Auria to crash.

As far as the speaker issue, it sounds like your iPad's volume control might be down. The iPad volume buttons (on the side of the iPad) control both the speaker and the headphone levels, and have different settings depending on whether you have headphones plugged in or are listening through the speaker.

Rim

Waterbound

Post by Waterbound » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks Rim for getting back. This is a weird issue and I realize that I need to do a better job at getting the errors captured and including the processes running when they occur in order for you to diagnose the problems. I will say the crashing occurs alot and usually I determine its due to lack of resources using IAA, Audiobus etc. Even without running IAA or Audiobus, just Auria with no apps running in the background, if I use the Approach demo tracks as an example, I will get crashes. The crashes occur when using the onboard FX within Auria, reverb on vocals, compressor and reverb on drums etc., no ryme no reason and sooner or later I will get a crash. With this specific problem I couldn't figure out why I could not get sound from the Ipad speakers using Auria. I tried all the volume tips and believe me, nothing I could do would get sound from the Ipads speakers. Since I had everything I needed backed up, I wiped Auria and started fresh, installed, rebooted, restored paid extras, rebooted again and its like a new machine! Everything worked perfectly. Remember, the sound would work if I used Audiobus and loaded 'just' Auria but Auria alone would not produce any sound. In my case, wiping and reloading resolved and on top of that, no crashes. I loaded the Approach as its a great example, used IAA like Final Touch (Mastering) and THM guitar sim on the guitar solo for example, everything was perfect, not a hitch.

I wish I could give you more or better diagnosis but will the next time I see a crash. It seems a few people are having weird problems with Ipad 4 with sound related issues that have nothing to do with the main volume control or the slider at the top, or the privacy and allowing mic etc.,not specifically with Auria but other apps just so happened my sound issues appeared while using Auria. So the question I have, I know with certain apps, developers have recommended to wipe and re-install when an update comes out, is there a benefit to doing this with Auria? I know things can get corrupted etc., especially on the Ipad so if there is a benefit, I will do it :)

Otherwise, I seriously notice an improvement with whats installed now compared to before I wiped. The only question I have concerning the re-install, prior to wiping I have always had the ReTune Effect add in, never used it much but after restoring my purchases, it still shows not installed and basically I would need to pay again for it. Was that add in included in previous versions or something? Thanks so much for your help!

Markku

Post by Markku » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 am

I have the exact same problem with internal speakers. They just stopped working wit Auria today. All other music apps I have are still working normally though. I backed up my projects to Dropbox and uninstalled Auria. Now I'm downloading and installing it again. Hope it helps. I haven't experienced any crashing or other problems and Auria still worked perfectly with Tascam US-4x4 soundcard and the phone jack was giving signal as usual.

Edit: now the speakers work again. I'm not quite sure what caused the problem, but it might be related to the iOS update I recently installed.
Last edited by Markku on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:59 am

I suggest starting a new thread if you're having issues with audio output. You've replied to an old thread from almost three years ago and almost everything has changed in regards to how speakers work on an iPad.

Rim