low Memory / project crashes

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Domi166

low Memory / project crashes

Post by Domi166 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:43 am

Hey there,
I am using an iPad Air with the latest release of auria.
I recorded the last part of a song with the iPad and now I am at the mixing part of it.
I was messing around with drumagog and some fab filter plugins (pro-c/pro-q/pro-mb) and did several freezes and unfreeze tracks. Just as I had a good drum sound I noticed that the single tracks like Bassdrum and snare didn't match together anymore, they where simply not tight. So I did unfreeze my 7 drum tracks and disabled all FXs on it.
Just when I disabled the last effect on the last track auria brought up a low memory waring (all other tracks were frozen or do not have any FXs enabled). I clicked it away but it immediately comes up again... Over and over. Still when I close auria (double tap an swipe up) and start it again it loads the project and brings me the warning....
All background apps are closed, I rebooted my device several times. Still the same. The instruments on the top right corner says CPU about 10% MEM 26MB
A similar thing happend 3 days ago on another project, I was able to recover it by loading a snapshot. It just crashe after loading, didn't brought me a memory waring..... but I don't want to do this, it cost me a lot of time, I am already done with the song!

Edit: I have seen that auria made a snapshot of my project that brings me the memory waring over and over again. I can load the snapshot, tap away the warning and can work in it, almost. I cannot delet tracks, when I do this it immediately crashes and I can edit effects only in the editor window. When I am in the mixing window and tap FX nothing happens.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: low Memory / project crashes

Post by Rim » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 am

Normally low memory warnings are caused by too many apps running in the background, so there might be something else going on in your case. The fact that you can reproduce it is very valuable for debugging, so if you wouldn't mind sending me the project, I'd appreciate it. Send it to my dropbox account: rim at drumagog dot com.

Thanks,
Rim

Domi166

Post by Domi166 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 am

Okay thanks Rim,
I will sent it to you later. I also sent the auria crash report to you/auria team, a few days ago.

Regards, Domi

Domi166

Post by Domi166 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:29 pm

I noticed that I can't save the project either as a copy nor as a snapshot when I load the latest snapshot, which auria made automatically. Is behavior normal?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:20 pm

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do that. Are you getting a message when you try?

To send me the project, I recommend using a computer and iFunBox to copy the project, then zip it and send it to my dropbox account using your computer.

Thanks,
Rim

Domi166

Post by Domi166 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 am

Hi rim,
I do not get a message, I just tap it and nothing happens. Same for the FX section on the mixing Window.
Do you need the full project with all wav files? I imported the most tracks from my pc as wav, do you need them?

Regards

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks for sending the project. I'll have a look at what's going on.

Rim

Domi166

Post by Domi166 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Rim, did you find anything interesting ?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Sorry, I have it on my list to investigate, but I haven't had a chance yet. It'll be part of the next update for sure, so I'll let you know as soon as I take a look.

Thanks,
Rim

Sohnjon

Post by Sohnjon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:44 pm

I'm having the same "Low Memory" and crashing problem on my iPad 2. There are no apps running in the background and I have 16 gigs free and my CPU usage is at 28%. This feels like a bug. I'm not using drumagog, I'm using the Fab Filter Pro-MB. Every time I try to use FFP-MB on different projects it gives me the "Low Memory" warning and
crashes.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 am

I've asked FabFilter to look into this, so I'll let you know what we discover.

Thanks,
Rim

Domi166

Post by Domi166 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 pm

I am really running out of patient with auria!
I have to get a song done till Friday, so I wanted to check some effects on it, and I unfreezed some tracks.
The result was after 6 or 7 tracks auria crashed again and at the moment I can't do anything!
It tries to load the crashed project over and over again when I start it..... But it ends up crashing again.
I can't load another project or an earlier snapshot.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm

I know this can be frustrating, but keep in mind that the iPad only has a limited amount of RAM to work with. It's not unusual to experience Auria shutting down like this, as this is iOS shutting Auria down when it runs out of RAM. This can especially be true when using a large project and unfreezing many tracks. When you use the freeze function, Auria creates a mix of that particular track, then removes the plugins, freeing that track's memory. So if you have a project with many frozen tracks, unfreezing them all can possibly cause your RAM usage to go over what your iPad can handle.

As a quick example, say a certain plugin takes 50MB of memory per instance. If your iPad has 200MB free, you can typically only use that plugin on four tracks before iOS will shut Auria down. But if you freeze each track after inserting that plugin, you can probably have 48 of those tracks without running out of memory. However - if you start unfreezing them, you'll quickly exceed the amount of free RAM, and iOS may shut Auria down, looking like a "crash".

I hope this helps clarify what might be going on.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:49 pm

By the way, I asked FabFilter about the large amount of memory used by Pro-MB, and they said they'd look into reducing the usage in a future release. As soon as they provide us with an update, I'll add it into Auria asap.

Rim

Domi166

Post by Domi166 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks rim.
I got it working again, after I started it a hundred times.
I always guessed that the freeze function works like that and because of this I always unfreeze the track and disable all effects on it. So that it should not use that much ram.

Best regards