Monitor Mixes, Multiroute and AUX Sends Help

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

bash

Monitor Mixes, Multiroute and AUX Sends Help

Post by bash » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm using a iPad mini retina with an Aphex 500 Rack and it lists the Headphone Jack as a separate output in the Output Matrix. I want to have a separate mix to send to the phones for record monitoring. Not an uncommon scenario to have a main mix coming out to the speakers and a slimmed down mix feeding just the basics to someone in a recording booth.

Firstly, I tried to keep it simple by doubling the Master Output to both 1&2 (main outs) and 3&4 (headphone out) but Auria is only letting me choose one set of outputs. I can choose one master stereo out destination but not more. As reference, Cubasis allows me to send the main out to any or every set of outputs. I've tried changing settings from Legacy, Standard and Multiroute and restarted both Auria and Aphex countless times to no avail.

So I moved on to setting an AUX to send to Outputs 3&4 and using the channel AUX Sends to create a unique headphone monitor mix. It works, sorta. I've discovered the AUX requires an effect inserted on the AUX FX panel to pass signal to outputs 3&4. This can sometimes lead to crashing Auria (and other unpredictable behavior). I'm wondering why the AUX send isn't just sending signal like a normal channel send. Why do I need to insert an effect? Lacking a dedicated Monitor Send in the channels, it would be better perhaps is there was a selection in the AUX FX pulldown to just pass unaffected signal to the new outputs like a monitor send. I plan to use the alternate outputs for incorporating external hardware effects and just creating a slimmed down monitor mix giving only what the person recording wants to hear.

Granted, one could just switch the 1&2 Master Outputs to 3&4 when recording under headphones but that would require changing around the faders to temporarily tailor a mix to that usage which is tedious and alters the channel balance of the entire project, which will have to be manually recalled once recording has finished. Also that turns off signal to the monitor speakers out, obviously, so I can no longer hear in a control booth what is happening without using a split signal to second set of headphones (which the Aphex has but I'd prefer to listen to the monitor speakers).

I've gone round and round changing settings and routings to the point where I'm dizzy trying to figure out why a simple monitor-send style set up using the AUX sends isn't working. To confuse me even further, I swear I remember it working as expected a few days ago prior to the recent upgrade. I'd love to revert to that setup to test my memory but I don't think there is a way to downgrade, even for testing.

My question is: What is the proper settings and method for routing an additional alternate (or even duplicate) stereo mix to a pair of stereo outputs that aren't the Master Outputs (while keeping the Master Outputs active) as listed in the Output Matrix? I keep thinking there is a simple combination of settings that will solve this but I cannot find it at the moment. Testing will resume later but if someone else is using a similar multiple master output setup that's working I'd love to hear how you set it up.

Thanks!

mrufino1
Expert

Re: Monitor Mixes, Multiroute and AUX Sends Help

Post by mrufino1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:47 pm

To make an aux work when using it as a audiobus output, I insert the simple reverb and set it to 100% dry. I use it because it uses almost no CPU. I also set it to the shortest time possible, I don't know if that makes a difference, but I do it anyway. Auxes are how you'd typically do a headphone mix anyway, so this is your best option. You can set the auxes to ore fader in the settings as well.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Auxes don't work unless there's an effect inserted in them. That's by design to minimize CPU usage. However, I can see why it would be useful to have them active in your case. I'll see if I can easily add this functionality in a future update.

As far as sending the same mix to both the iPad headphone output and USB, it was possible to do this with Legacy mode. It's possible that iOS7 changed this. I'll have to look into it.

Rim

bash

Post by bash » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks, Rim and mrufino1! I'm still digesting all the ways to route with the Aphex Rack 500.

To be clear, Rim, I'm not wishing to send to the IPad headphone but to the Aphex headphone(s) which appear as outputs 3&4 in the Output Matrix. I haven't considered incorporating the iPad headphone output as I want to keep it all simple and in one interface.

But it would be convenient during mixing (not tracking) to simultaneously send the full mix to both headphones and the monitor speakers but the matrix will only allow one set of stereo master outputs. I prefer to mix on monitor speakers but it would be preferable to be able to momentarily put on the headphones when I want to get a closer listen to something without going into the output matrix to re-route the Master outputs to 3&4 and then back to 1&2 when I take them off. Not a big issue, just trying to keep the flow.

Keep the faith, RIM, you've written a hell of a nice piece of software and I thank you for it. :D

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:26 am

Oh, you want the same mix, I get it. I thought you wanted a monitor mix (as in a different mix in headphones). Couldn't you just use a group out for that? Send everything to a group and take that group out to your headphones? I use my subgroups differently, to group all of the drums, then bass, then guitar etc, but if you don't then what I said should work I think. I have a Samson monitor controller that allows me to switch between 3 sets of speakers and headphones, as well as a mono switch. Very handy.

bash

Post by bash » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

I would like to do both; have a custom headphone mix during tracking and a duplicate master mix during mixing. The custom mix, as we've discussed, is do-able with the AUX sends (with an effect in the AUX-FX insert) but the duplicate master mix that would be sent concurrently to two sets of stereo outs (speaker out and headphone out) may be available in a future upgrade.

For now I will insert my Roland Duo into the speaker line outs of the Aphex for a duplicate master mix into the Duo's headphone jack and use the Aphex headphone outs for AUX custom monitor mixes. A workaround but it will work. :D