Plugin Recommendations

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Plugin Recommendations

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:27 am

Hi folks,

I have an iTunes voucher burning a whole in my pocket and wondered what people would recommend as my next plugin(s)?

I have Pro-Q, Old Timer and Micro Warmer already, all of which have become pretty indispensable to me, so I figure I'll get use out of another :wink:

I record rock / pop / indie music, so no real need for plugins based at synth stuff. I was thinking of Pro-DS?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Erik dP
Expert

Re: Plugin Recommendations

Post by Erik dP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 am

Pro-DS is the one plug I wouldn't be without. Just wondering if the new multiband compressor can do the same thing?
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 am

The new mutliband can do the same thing, you just have to set it up that way. Saturn and timeless are killer too. In fact, I'd recommend timeless, the stereo delay that is included is pretty limited. And Saturn could be set up as a de-esser as well, although not quite as flexible.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Erik dP wrote:Pro-DS is the one plug I wouldn't be without. ?
I'm curious about what you most use this for. I admit I am not a big de-esser user, even on my desktop system and am genuinely curious as why this would be more important than say a limiter of compressor plug.

cheers,
na
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 am

...Well there are limiter and compressor within the basic Auria plugin collection. So from that I ranked the de-esser highest amongst the add on plugs.

I use the de-esser for what it is intended for: geting rid of some sharp s-sounds that othervice would be hard to target either by eq, compressor, or cut-n-edit.

But including all plugs in a list I guess some kind of echo would be a on top of the list. De-esser usage is time saving.

(I do have most of the add-ons. The FabFilter Limiter is nice.)
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 am

OK, so here goes the question that proves my ignorance...

What is an echo for? I understand what it does, and I use delay a lot with my guitar playing, but when / why / how would you use one instead of a reverb?

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 am

Reverb can muddy up a mix very quickly if used heavily. Delay can create strong feelings of space without the mud. It obviously depends on the genre, the song and the instrument, but often I'll just use the reverb to only add subtle ambience and depend on the delay to add the big space.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Cheers. I guess I'll give it a go :D

By coincidence, echo / delay was mentioned in a fun video I saw on YouTube of Andy Johns talking about sound engineering. It's a promo for drum samples, so leans in that direction, but he covers lots of engineering tips. Reminds me of the roadie from Spinal Tap :lol:

Thanks for the advice.