How to set up a Vocal Mixing Workflow in Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

timmyg
Expert

How to set up a Vocal Mixing Workflow in Auria?

Post by timmyg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:11 am

Hi all,

This is following on from my previous thread but taking a slightly different route.

I need someone to explain a commonly used workflow for mixing vocals in Auria. Should I set up something like below?

1) Do any volume automation then EQ the vocals on their own channel strip(s)
2) Send your vocals to a sub-group to add compression
3) Finally add reverb to that sub-group?

I am confused about how best to set this up. Any suggestions & instructions on how to do it would be really appreciated.

many thanks

Phil999
Expert

Re: How to set up a Vocal Mixing Workflow in Auria?

Post by Phil999 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 pm

again, it serves the purpose to learn the basics.

But if you want to ignore those essential steps, here's what you can serve. Compress/limit the vocals so that you don't have to do volume automation. Know that every successful record has a professional engineer riding the track manually.

I can only repeat, without learning the basics nobody will ever do good mixes. This is an increasing 'disease' nowadays as everybody can be a 'produzer' because it has become available to everyone.

No disrespect to you at all, it's just a common observation.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:44 pm

No need to use subgroups at all for reverb and compression in this case, just use those on the vocal track directly if that's all you're sending to those effects.

Typically subgroups are used when you want to send multiple tracks to the same effect. Say a bunch of drum tracks to the same reverb. You could put the reverb on the sub track set to 100% wet, and use the send knobs in the mixer to control how much of those tracks gets the reverb.

But that's just one example, there's no rules to any of this.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:20 pm

The best way to deal with vocals ever since 1976 ( the start of when anyone could become a recording engineer ) is to get it right from the start. Choose a good mic, watch your vocal dynamics and distance from the mic durring your vocal take. Once your satisfied that you have a great vocal take, listen to the vocals within the entire mix. Start with a slight compression on the vocal track no need to send the vocal to a buss just for reverb or compression , just insert those into the actual vocal track. If you eq first than the compressor will affect the eq setting so very light compression first, then eq the vocal and keep adjusting the compressor and eq together as one change from one can affect the other. Make very small movements both in eq and compression. Riding a fader is done by automation these days as it is very difficult to ride the faders manually of an entire mix. In the older days before automation large studios had many hands available to help ride the faders. This is simply not possible with a single recording artist/producer/engineer so automation is the only tool to use here. Your FX for the vocal will depend on the style of music your mixing so there is NO one set-up for vocals but as a guidline, a small room reverb, followerd bu a large room reverb and a small delay. Use these at very minimal settings to achieve an almost non noticeable effect. But again some vocal tracks have tons of the effect, so it is program dependant. You have to start somewhere so Auria is as good as any other Daw to experiment. There are tons of YouTube tutorials on this subject even using Fabfilter plugins. Good luck and as a vocalist myself I still find mixing vocals the most challenging. Today many young artist are achieving great results and are setting the stage for the new era of sound. Don't be too stuck on the status quo of old timers mixing as that is an old chapter that is quickly changing. I once trained under a producer who was much more experienced than I was yet his mixes were not that good. So experience does not always equal good sound. You will only get better by mixing up a song and then throwing it out there for others to hear. How popular that track becomes is what equals a great mix. Good luck and post your mixes with links and see where it goes. Cheers.

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:54 pm

1. Mix and balance all instruments first.
2. Bring up vocals to a good level and compress (amount of comp will depend on genre).
3. Eq vocals. If there are instruments stepping or competeing with the vocals, re-eq and automate those insturments. (You'd wanna cut the boominess a little and focus on the high mid frequencies 4khz up)
4. Add reverb/delay/chorus whatever to make the vocals sit in the mix better (what anthony alves said)
5. Ride the faders when needed (automate). I don't depend completely on compression to tame those unpleasant spikes in dynamics.

Then in retrospect, the job wouldn't be as hard if your vocal artist knows how to work the mic and delivers a stellar performance.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:01 pm

IMO there is no magic bullet when mixing vocals, sure there are standard tools eq,compression, reverb delay, but depending on what kind of song it is, rock pop, R&B , rap, jazz,dance ,etc , the treatment is going to vary according to the vibe you want to get across. A wet vocal track heavy with reverb or delay or a dry vocal eq'd and compressed just enough to get that warm intimate sound you need to fit the music. Learning the basics of the tools , like eqs go a long way and really understanding what a compressor does and how to get it to do what you need it to do in reference to everything else going on in the song is one of the best things you can learn. Practicing mixing is just as important as a guitar player practicing guitar, it's the glue that brings everything together.
I'm sure you've been listening to music all your life, listen to the vocals and where they sit in the mix.
The beautiful thing is you're on an ipad and not on someone's studio clock so you can mix your song as many times as it takes to get what you want out of it.
Last and not least , you'll find what workflow works best for you. Your workflow might not work for the next engineer what so ever but if it works for you that's all that matters.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 am

Great tips, thanks folks for taking the time to share that. As a relative novice, I'm not going to try and add to all that good advice, but just give my endorsement to the FabFilter videos. Here's the EQ one:

http://youtu.be/kSNYBbPAvKE

This really opened a door to beginning to understand EQ for me.

Enjoy making music! :D

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 am

Great again thanks. Interesting though, I have read in lots of places that if I automate first then the compressor won't have to work as hard to help level out the vocal, thus sounding more natural and unprocessed?

In summary:

1) Volume Automation
2) Compression
3) EQ
4) Reverb/Delay

And no need for subgroups/aux unless I've got a load of vocal tracks I want to share the same reverb/delay with differing amounts.

Does that sound like a decent enough workflow?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 am

That's about what I do, so it's probably a rubbish workflow :lol:

Give it a go, and change it if it doesn't work for you.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Waves has a great plug in called Vocal Rider that automates level thru a pre-determined range via a moving fader. Very cool app and can mean no need for compressing the vox.
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:37 am

sodium wrote:Waves has a great plug in called Vocal Rider that automates level thru a pre-determined range via a moving fader. Very cool app and can mean no need for compressing the vox.
Interesting, is that available through Auria?