New Auria user could use some advice

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

garnold
Expert

New Auria user could use some advice

Post by garnold » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Wow this is some impressive app!!! Can't believe what I can do with my iPad now. Now that I have this installed I have a few questions please.

- Can I sync a midi sequencer installed on my Mac Book Pro from Auria?
- Can someone please recommend a good midi sequencer for the iPad?
- This is a part of my studio that I'm missing now, a good midi sequencer and not sure if I should go MBP or iPad?
- I might install a sound module on the MBP and run it from my iPad (if I install the sequencer there) then have Auria keep this all in sync?
- I've installed Thor but it seems to be running a little sluggish when Auria is running. This is why I was thinking about moving some apps to the MBP and ease up some on the iPad.
- Has drum perfect been working out for folks? Seems like a good drum sequencer with some great sounds. I know there are some others out there but their sounds are just not what I'm looking for.

Again, this is such an amazing app and I can't wait to jump right in and make some music. That being said I don't want to be hung up on apps. Just need a few items then want to play :)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: New Auria user could use some advice

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes Auria will trigger a midi sequencer even if it's outside of the iPad. Just set Auria to send to the sequencer and the sequencer to receive from Auria. If it's connected to the same midi as Auria , Auria will see it.
There are several midi pattern sequencers for the iPad. The top three are: Midi Pattern Sequencer: Genome Midi: Thesys: but you can also use full blown daws that include sequencers and that lock to Auria such as Cubasis, BeatMaker2, NanoStudio, MusucStudio,Meteor. Of course these daws are more expensive.
As for Drums I use BeatMachine and Akai iMPC because I can load my own samples and beatmachine has a sequencer built in.
As for Thor not working well that depends on the iPad you are running it on. Works fine on my iPad Air.
There are many choices and I hope some if the other users help you out too. Welcome to pro iOS recording and the finest bunch of Audio tweakers and the most brilliant coder know to the world. Auria's coder and creator Rim. To me he's a great artist and Auria is one of his magnificent creations. What a privilege to be some of the first users of this new art form. I thank Rim each time I open Auria. Good luck with your tracks.

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 am

Thanks for the reply. So for midi connections can I just use USB to connect the laptop to the ipad or should I use the traditional midi cables? So is this the beatmachine your talking about? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beatmac ... 52373?mt=8 this app seems kind of limited? I'm using an ipad air and I guess I just need to set it up right and clean off some apps.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:16 am

garnold wrote:...So is this the beatmachine your talking about? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beatmac ... 52373?mt=8 this app seems kind of limited?...
Please excuse me jumping in (but Anthony's probably asleep at the moment). Anthony was, almost certainly, referring to this app:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/beat-ma ... 25861?mt=8

He even demoed it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrXv2792RU

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks Washboy, that's right about the Beatmachine App. Cool when someone else knows my videos :D
@Garnold, using two computing devices on the same USB connection can cause problems as usually the iPads usb is tied up with a powered usb hub which only allows for one computer to be connected to it. So if your iPad is connected to a powered usb hub and if you plug in your laptops usb to the powered hub problems begin because both are computers and one tries to override the other. As well if your using two audioboxes one for the iPad and another for the laptop connecting these two boxes together via usb can also be a problem as what happens is the last pluged in device ( audio box ) will become the active one and the other box simply gets kicked out. The best way is to have standard midi cables ( 5 Din Pin ) and take the midi out of the iPad box and plug it into the midi in of the computer. Standard midi cables do not exchange anything other than midi data so there is no confusion to the system. Remember that if you are branching from one midi device to multiple devices always use the Midi Thru port to connect to many midi decices. So it would go like this MIDI OUT TO MIDI IN. THEN MIDI THRU TO MIDI IN, Hope this isn't too confusing and hopefully gets you goin. Cheers.

Edit. iConnect Midi makes a midi/audio box that handles multiple computing devices on the same USB audio and midi. A couple of hundred dollars but very cool and also has standard midi connectors as well.

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks Anthony for all the help. Yes I have seen the issue of plugging in more then one audiobox at the same time. I have (and love) a Digitech RP360 that I was using as my interface for a bit. Once I tried to plug that into the USB hub that my iPad was plugged into and my 18i8 all kinds of bad stuff happened. I guess they both fight to be the audio device and that's not a good thing. I have all the standard midi adapters I need and will go that direction but that iConnect box seemed pretty cool and only $80 from Sweetwater. Still, I don't see me needing it since I can just use standard midi connectors.

I'm dig'in that drum app. I thing it will fit all my needs. The most important part is the fact that I can import my own samples. Most of my music will be basic rock and acoustic guitar stuff. Very little (if any) electric style music so a large percentage of the sounds that these drum machines come with do not work for me. With this app I can just import my own kits and be set plus use it to control my old R8M if I want to use any of those sounds.

So I have not bought this drum app yet but will it let me record each drum instrument as a separate track in Auria? I know when using Auria as the output in Audiobox you have the option of picking which track will be sent out. Just wondering if this is an option with beatmachine?

Thank you again for all the support!!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am

@Garnold, no unfortunately Beatmachine does not export separate tracks into Auria. You have to mute the drum parts and solo record each drum part. I have requested that they make all the tracks bounce to multitrack Daw all at once on a separate track. I am looking forward to a new drum app coming later in March or April called BeatHalk by UVI makers of sparkverb which will be included that allows for your own samples' has a built in sequencer and will export in multiple tracks at once. + Audiobus + IAA. Until then I fumble with what's available. Cheers

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 pm

WOW!!! Just watched a video about BeatHalk. I'm gonna wait :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUMh-O9fp8

Thank you again!!!!!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

I am about to download the new DrumPerfect app. It sounds cool and the person who developed it made it very complex and deep. It loads our own samples. It sounds very human. this one exports separate wav files for each part. So far all of yours and my requests. I will report back with my results. Cheers.

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for this feedback. Have to say, that beathauk is looking pretty sweet.

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Anthony, any feedback on DrumPerfect? I'm holding off on buying it till I can also learn more about beathauk. Still interested in your feedback on DrumPerfect though.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 am

Hey Garnold, I did buy DrumPerfect and I am very impressed by the flexibility and realistic drum grooves that I can produce. However sadly Auria is the only Daw that when set to sync so that DrumPerfect can play along with Auria, Auria seems to drift in time so that after about 15 bars the two are way off each other in beat timing. I know it's not DrumPerfect because I was able to lock it up very tightly to another iOS Daw. So give me a couple more days to sort this out. Cheers.

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Hey Garnold, I did buy DrumPerfect and I am very impressed by the flexibility and realistic drum grooves that I can produce. However sadly Auria is the only Daw that when set to sync so that DrumPerfect can play along with Auria, Auria seems to drift in time so that after about 15 bars the two are way off each other in beat timing. I know it's not DrumPerfect because I was able to lock it up very tightly to another iOS Daw. So give me a couple more days to sort this out. Cheers.
Thanks for getting back! :)

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm

I have also experienced syncing issues with Auria. It locks together pretty well, but it's about 20ms off for some reason...

garnold
Expert

Post by garnold » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm

That's kind of a bummer. It's not a must for me but I want to keep the drums in another app.