Wow! ...and a few newbie questions please?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sodium
Expert

Wow! ...and a few newbie questions please?

Post by sodium » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Firstly, WOW ! what a fabulous beast this app is....(I am a long time DAW user from Steinberg Pro16 thru to Cubase SX then switched to Reaper). When I discovered it last week I bought it and just about every in-app purchase I could justify (and some I couldn't!) and cant wait to really get to grips with it. So yeah, kudos to the developers. It is a real bench mark app IMO.

Secondly, I have a couple of newbie questions that I hope some might be able to help me with. (I searched the forums but couldn't spot the answers so apologies if these have been addressed already):

1. I essentially want to have the ability to have Auria record *in sync* with a Sampletank loop/part. I am using Sampletank (as an input) to Auria ( as output) via Audiobus . I am trying to have Auria in "record ready" standby and have it begin recording when I press PLAY in Sampletank's sound page. I can set Auria recording and press PLAY on Sampletank and it will happily record but I cant find the technique to have Auria "listen" to Sampletank and begin recording immediately I press PLAY. Is this a function of a MIDI/MTC configuration or is there some other way to achieve my goal?

2.Snap: the user manual states there is a bars/beats options for snapping to, but the drop down menu doesn't appear to have an option of bars/beats. Is there another place where that option is accessed?

3. Is there a list of Inter App Audio compliant apps to be found anywhere? I'm just wondering if devs like IKMultimedia are planning to incorporate this function in there apps ( I realise this is perhaps a question for IKMM's forums but thought Id ask here in case someone had the scoop)

TIA for any tips of help in regards the above and once again can't say how thrilled I am to discover this whizz-bang DAW for the iPad!!

Cheers,
nick Andrews
Sydney Australia
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Wow! ...and a few newbie questions please?

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi Nick and welcome.

1. What you're looking for is midi sync or MMC. Sync is a way to keep two apps locked in time throughout a song, and MMC is a way to have both apps start when you press play or record on the master. Not all apps support these, so it's a matter of experimentation.

The snap menu changes depending on the time mode you have set. This is set in the transport menu (click on the transport).

There's no official list of IAAs anywhere that I know of.

Rim

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Thank you, Rim.

Just to clarify, do you happen to know whether Sampletank supports MMC, and if so, how does an Auria user setup the two to attain what I described? It'd be a really cool feature to work with and Im not sure I am fully up to speed on how Auria uses MMC. Cheers.

Tnx again,
na

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:01 am

I'm not sure - perhaps another user who's used these two can clarify?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:04 am

sodium wrote:...do you happen to know whether Sampletank supports MMC...
I think you'll find that Sampletank iOS is MIDI IN only and doesn't do MIDI sync either way. Perhaps IKMultimedia can confirm/deny via their forum/support.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:51 pm

@sodium. You can't with Sampletank but btw you should try using sample via inter app audio, IMO audiobus is great but I like inter app audio a lot better. But as far as something that will start Auria when you want to lay a drum track Beatmaker 2 does it really well, although I do like the drums , particularly the acoustic drums in Sampletank better for getting a live sound. For sampled hip hop or dance stuff Beatmaker 2 is more than adequate though.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Washboy wrote: I think you'll find that Sampletank iOS is MIDI IN only and doesn't do MIDI sync either way. Perhaps IKMultimedia can confirm/deny via their forum/support.
thank you Washboy. I have posted the same question on their board. Cheers.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Strizbiz wrote:@sodium. You can't with Sampletank but btw you should try using sample via inter app audio, IMO audiobus is great but I like inter app audio a lot better. But as far as something that will start Auria when you want to lay a drum track Beatmaker 2 does it really well, although I do like the drums , particularly the acoustic drums in Sampletank better for getting a live sound. For sampled hip hop or dance stuff Beatmaker 2 is more than adequate though.
Thank you, Stribiz.

I can "see" ST in the Auria effects drop down list and can easily switch between the two and yes Auria will record the output. Thank you for that clue!! But it still seems to rely on my hitting the start button precisely on the beat for ST's drum feel to be in time with Auria's tempo setting. I will struggle on and try to mess with settings and options on both apps. It'd be nice though to have some sort of basic lock up between Auria and apps that produce rhythm patterns... perhaps it's there but I just haven't stumbled upon it yet.

But thanks again for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
na

SSquared

Post by SSquared » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 am

You may want to use a different app to sequence the SampleTank drums. Take a look at this thread http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10831. It looks like maybe both BeatMaker2 and Genome can sync. But double check to be sure.

EDIT: How timely. A recent discussion on syncing with Genome. http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=11760&