How are you bringing Drums into Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Hoffamania

Re: How are you bringing Drums into Auria?

Post by Hoffamania » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:35 am

This is my first day with the Auria. Does anyone have a drum program they suggest, that is compatible with the audio copy app? It sounds like the easiest way. Yet it seems like the people here are you using different apps and loading drum tracks thru drop box. I wasted my money on drum app. Are any of the rest worth trying?

Strumlord

Post by Strumlord » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am

I just wanted to say thanks for posting to everyone and update this thread. In a perfect world. An acoustic kit, and a bunch of mics would be the way to go. But I'm a guitarist and I don't have an acoustic kit laying around nor would I be able to bang on them proper like if I did. Anyway, I did a bunch of reading in the forum on anything I could find and for me, DM1 was my favorite option. I could use some of the loop apps but I really want to learn how to mix with multiple drum tracks and stereo loops severely limit my options. I've been working in DM1 for a few days and it's a great little app for the money. I did a little test project and used the Dropbox export option to get some tracks into Auria so that I could check out drumagog. The Dropbox thing went without a hitch and now it's time to learn drumagog.

Here is where I'd like some more feedback. I have two exceptional drum programs on my desktop.
BFD 2 from Fxpansion and Steven Slate Drums.

I've got a lot to learn from both of these apps as well as drumagog. Is the drumagog plug in for Auria a "lite" version of the desktop version? Am I better off using my full blown desktop drum apps in reaper and exporting them to Auria as opposed to using DM1 and drumagog? I really wanted to spend less time on drums but it looks like there really is no easy out if you can't record the real thing but want a quality drum track.

Thoughts???

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

Drumagog for Auria is only lite in that there aren't as many samples supplied with it, so if you have the desktop version you can import all of your samples into Drumagog for Auria.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Airyck
Expert

Post by Airyck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I have a very large collection of drums loops, original and or otherwise. I keep almost all of them on my iPad in Audio share as well as a lot of single hit drum samples. With the way Auria time stretches in place I'm able to just copy and paste audio loops into auria, stretch them (two finger lengthen or shorten applies times stretch), cut them and generally make them fit in the song pretty easily.

I also will manually place individual drum hits like kicks, snares, hats, and percussion in a sort of paint by numbers fashion and then bounce those to one audio clip 1-4 bars long. Depending on how intricate the drum work is bouncing down makes them easier to copy, paste, and move as one. This a common method used by a lot of producers that I know, even though they have access to drum samplers.

The last method for me is based on whether or not I want to base the song around drums and percussion first. In this case I may get crazy with a stand alone drum sampler like DM1 until I have something really groovy going for drums. Play with automating lengths, pitch, velocity, fx etc. Once I have a great drum groove, I will solo each track and export them separately into Auria so that each drum sound is on it's own track. This way I can chop up individual drum sounds and change the groove of the track in Auria without having to go back to DM1.

These are all ideas I use successfully, hopefully some of them help you to get going with drums :)