Protools or New iPad?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Protools or New iPad?

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:42 am

The problem with WiFi drives is that they need to be supported by each app in order to use them. And they use different protocols. So it's a big job for us to support all of them. Even adding support for one is a big job. It's on my list to look into, but it's not an easy task.

Rim

KeniPad
Expert

Post by KeniPad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:53 am

I would imagine it's the interface. I have not had any problems with the Apogee Jam and Mic.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:57 am

@Rim

Having the basic capability to file transfer via USB thumb drive to ipad would make work flow a much better experience. The file transfer process is the thing I dread when I use Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:14 am

Unfortunately, that's not possible, as Apple has no support for USB drives.

Rim

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:53 am

If there are FTP clients like ftp-client-pro, then why don't all WIFI drive manufacturers support FTP on WIFI?

Or am I missing something?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Not all of them do. Some support FTP, some support WebDAV, some support both, and others are proprietary and require their own software.

Rim

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Fwiw, I think it would be completely reasonable for you guys to pull a digidesign and only support one or maaaybe two external drives. "If you want this feature, buy this device. "

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:46 pm

syrupcore wrote:Fwiw, I think it would be completely reasonable for you guys to pull a digidesign and only support one or maaaybe two external drives. "If you want this feature, buy this device. "
I agree 100%... Digidesign took great risks back in the day with their proprietary hardware schemes, and obviously it has paid off! Lots of people talked ish about it, but running a protools rig gave you the piece of mind that only it could.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Auria is fabulous software. But the hardware RAM limits of iPad are not adequate for me. Go Protools.
I am sick of RAM messages from my iPad for minimal tracking that is easy on a computer-based DAW platform.

RAM is not the only hardware compromise you have to make w/iPads.
Auria is ready to take on the major DAW's. but iPad hardware is not.

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I keep coming back to Dub's comment about doing whatever helps to get the most work done and its been resonating in a number of ways because it made me do some soul searching.

I've downloaded the latest update to Auria, imported tracks straight from Beatmaker and my hissing has gone (top marks to Rim). Cubasis is driving me nuts as an interface (looks great but is painful for very creative and complex sequencing) but I love the sounds, so I've exported wavs and set up custom instruments in Beatmaker. Auria is working great so I'm off the protocols idea for the moment.

Now I'm back to composing again in BM2 and not fiddling with toys which, though fun, isn't where 'I get the most work done'. Beatmaker and Auria for me from now on - fast, creative, reasonable quality. Once I can afford to upgrade my computer and look at a new serious DAW I'll restart this conversation again somewhere else I'm sure, but right now an iPad 5 giving Auria more horsepower may be where I want to go in the near future.

Thanks everyone.