AURIA for the iPHONE???

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Re: AURIA for the iPHONE???

Post by ajmack302 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:41 am

Shall we just stick with the iPad version then?!! :roll:

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Well I disagree with Shay 176% and I agree with the OP 243%. So there. Results are in. When can we expect the iPhone version?

Kidding, of course. I love the +100 percentages game. They're just 432% fun. In all seriousness, though, why would you want a companion app but not Auria itself on an iPhone? I don't get it. So you concede that it would be nice to have something Auria related on an iPhone, just not what the OP asked for. Ok then. I get that you won't get the full experience. I wouldn't ever hope to do any real editing on ANY Daw on an iPhone. That's not the point though. I want something that I can record into that will allow me to easily bring it back into an Auria project. The lite version described would work, but that seems like it defeats the whole purpose of the "don't distract Rim from the iPad because I said so" argument. Why not just port what you can to the iPhone and let the other features that don't "work" for the iPhone be dormant with an accompanying disclaimer? If he's going to spend the time to create something for the iPhone, why not use what we already have? The point of ALL of this, though, is that Rim has already clearly said it's not on the table. So any further discussion beyond that point is really just wasted space, and I'll refrain from adding anything more to it starting now. Promise

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:41 pm

boone51 wrote:Well I disagree with Shay 176% and I agree with the OP 243%. So there. Results are in. When can we expect the iPhone version?

Kidding, of course. I love the +100 percentages game. They're just 432% fun. In all seriousness, though, why would you want a companion app but not Auria itself on an iPhone? I don't get it. So you concede that it would be nice to have something Auria related on an iPhone, just not what the OP asked for. Ok then. I get that you won't get the full experience. I wouldn't ever hope to do any real editing on ANY Daw on an iPhone. That's not the point though. I want something that I can record into that will allow me to easily bring it back into an Auria project. The lite version described would work, but that seems like it defeats the whole purpose of the "don't distract Rim from the iPad because I said so" argument. Why not just port what you can to the iPhone and let the other features that don't "work" for the iPhone be dormant with an accompanying disclaimer? If he's going to spend the time to create something for the iPhone, why not use what we already have? The point of ALL of this, though, is that Rim has already clearly said it's not on the table. So any further discussion beyond that point is really just wasted space, and I'll refrain from adding anything more to it starting now. Promise
Ah, I see. I thought you were expecting the same complexity.
In that case I agree.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Shay wrote:Hi all IPhone version people,

You forget only one small thing.
Auria is developed by a single developer, meaning that iPhone version development will have hard implications on the IPad version, which already takes 100% of Rim's time.

Unless you are all willing to volunteer (for free) to help Rim develop it :wink: , most of us want the IPad version to proceed.
There are dreams and there is reality.
In reality coding takes time and the developer should avoid taking risks to harm already great work.

Anyone wants to share Rim's risk with it's own money? :o
Exactly...
Anyone seriously using Auria would not want development of an iPhone version, when there are plenty of apps to just record etc on the iPhone already. Wasted resources.
I would imagine its much more difficult coding apps then it is collecting them.
That being said, I did have a dream last night with a GUI on an iPhone mimicking the Fader Port. One fader, bank switching, transport etc. (patent pending) :D
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm

I get the resources/one developer thing. That's fine, but we shouldn't say "nobody wants that" or "you're not serious about this if you want that". I don't presume to know how you use Auria. I ask the same. A version - lite or whatever the case -that I could use my iPhone to record with that would save in an auria project format I could then sync to dropbox and open on my iPad would be great. I'd use it a heck of a lot more than a midi editor. If you can't see where that would be something great then maybe you use Auria differently than I do :o

I've seen some awesome work with big apps being shrunk down to work on the smaller screen and I'm confident that 90% of Auria could be converted down.

That all being said, I get the resources thing completely and that point is totally valid.

ps. I've just made a promise to myself about promising to not post online anymore, but I'm horrible at keeping promises, so...

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:15 pm

I want to apologize if I offended anyone. That wasn't the aim of my post.

I just appreciate so much Rim's work and read all the future planning, such as midi, plugins and more great stuff.
From the other side I see us providing a very long wishing list (the wishing list thread is as long as IOS code :D ).

It's not that I oppose recording on IPhone. I own NanoStudio, DM1 and other apps on my IPhone.
I wish many will buy Auria and let Rim grow on his resources in order to be able to provide an IPhone app if he wishes to do so.

Best regards to everyone.
Shay

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:06 pm

One of the coolest things about Auria is that it isn't finished. I have lots to look forward to whichever direction the app takes.

The downside is we need more emoticons.

I also keep forgetting that there are interfaces for the iPhone now too making it a very viable recording platform.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm

That's a cool gesture, Shay. No hurt feelings here. We're artists and so by nature we're passionate. I, for one, appreciate a good spirited discussion. Certainly if I offended anyone that wasn't my intention either. I felt like everyone kept their shirt on though. Thanks. Go Auria.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Honestly, one of the best things on earth is men apologizing on the Internet. So rare! Much respect @shay.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:22 pm

@shay there's really no reason to apologize. You had a very valid point. Superfluous feature requests take time and energy away from the dev's.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 pm

While not required at all, it was nice gesture and I certainly appreciated it. What's "superfluous" to one man might be "a dream come true" for another. I've kept my mouth shut about how terrified I am about the pending midi editor for the most part. I realize that while I'm not going to use it that much some of you are going to feel like its Christmas morning when it lands - despite the clear potential for a huge negative impact on the product as a whole. I'm guessing Rim has probably spent more than a few hours on this feature I don't really care that much about. And that's totally cool. It's not my product. It's ours.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm def with ya on the addition of midi. To me (and this is very premature of course) it's like when Reason added audio tracks. Unnecessary, and bloated the program to all hell.
I've got Auria backed up, so if it does turn out that way I won't be updating, and I'll probably just stop using it altogether.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Dubhausdisco wrote:I'm def with ya on the addition of midi. To me (and this is very premature of course) it's like when Reason added audio tracks. Unnecessary, and bloated the program to all hell.
I've got Auria backed up, so if it does turn out that way I won't be updating, and I'll probably just stop using it altogether.
It's my understanding that MIDI will be an optional Auria feature - if not simply an optional add-on. MIDI sequencers have been around for ages; there is a very stable "standard" feature-set which won't even add as much code as some of the smaller plug-ins do. It's not even remotely going to "bloat" Auria. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you will be able to completely ignore it and pretend its not even there, if you want. You may not even notice it, as you have no intention of using it. I, for one, simply love capturing a performance as an audio recording and as a MIDI sequence simultaneously. It allows for so much exploration during production :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:18 am

MIDI functionality will most definitely be an add-on. When it becomes available, if you don't want it, just don't purchase the add on, and Auria will be like it is now.

Rim

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks very much for that clarification, Rim. That's good to know. I'm sure I'll end up getting it anyway.