Transfering projects with Reaper

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Transfering projects with Reaper

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Has anyone been able to do this?

I've checked on the Reaper forum, and AAF is not supported.
Even AATranslator doesn't support Auria AAF files.

Stewartludwig
Expert

Re: Transfering projects with Reaper

Post by Stewartludwig » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am

You gotta zero each teach independently. Reaper is a good program but needs AAF support bigtime!

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 am

For DAW's like Reaper that don't support AAF the only way to move projects is via bounced audio files, i.e. exporting individual audio tracks (or stems) from one DAW to the other. We don't have a copy of AATranslator to try out, so I can't say it's AAF support works with Auria, but Auria does use a fairly standard AAF implementation so AATranslator might work as a go-between, we just haven't tested it.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 pm

I posted a YouTube video a few months ago showing how to export stems from reaper and import them to auria. I do it constantly. I track in reaper, then mix in auria and I like the fresh start using bounced wav stems.

runaway

Post by runaway » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 pm

I have not seen an AAF from Auria so I cannot say if AATranslator can read it or not.
There are at least 2 different AAF 'flavours' that I have seen so I guess an Auria AAF has a 50 50 chance of being one of the 'standard' ones :wink:

If someone wants to send me one I'd be happy to let you know

I can be contacted via the aatranslator website

To be honest I would go with mrufino1's suggestion as for all the pain and suffering that is an AAF the format barely delivers little more detail than rendering stems IMO.

On the other hand if the Auria devs want to supply me with a schema of the Auria native session format I'd be happy to include it in the list of formats that we support.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 pm

runaway wrote:

On the other hand if the Auria devs want to supply me with a schema of the Auria native session format I'd be happy to include it in the list of formats that we support.

So, if I read your thought correctly, one could have a client supplied OMF and AATranslator could move directly to an Auria session? Cause that would solve many headaches for my workflow...

Regards,
phil.

runaway

Post by runaway » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 am

Navpack wrote:So, if I read your thought correctly, one could have a client supplied OMF and AATranslator could move directly to an Auria session? Cause that would solve many headaches for my workflow...
I have trouble reading my own thoughts sometimes so you are doing real well :wink:

Short answer is - yes!

Long answer is - still yes but with a lot more words.....
If the devs give me the schema (happy to sign yet another NDA) I can create a native Auria session file from any of the formats that AATranslator currently supports including OMF.

Failing that sort of co-operation (which essentially would mean that the Auria user's needs are not as important as they should be) if someone wants to give me a few Auria session files I can probably work it out for myself (not that I need the extra workload).

As far as OMF goes my advice would then be to avoid them like the plague as they contain even less detail than an AAF. I would suggest to convert directly from the source eg native ProTools PTF/PTX files or FCP XML files, etc)

To be honest Auria support is low on our priority list at present so the least amount of work I need to do means the more chance it has of us allocating resources to implement it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 am

Michael, we're happy to work with you on this. A full Auria project compatibility sounds great. I'll follow up via e-mail.

Thanks,
Rim

runaway

Post by runaway » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks Rim - it is clear that you and your team have the interests of your users at heart