Latency issues in new update!!!???

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

silent climb

Re: Latency issues in new update!!!???

Post by silent climb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi guys. This problem has mysteriously sorted itself out. I'm am very happy but also confused. Thanks for the replies. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen again.....

geiger120

Post by geiger120 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:26 pm

I think, I have the same problem.
I use auria for live effects, first with different usb interfaces (lexicon, fireface ucx, focusrite...), for a few weeks now with duet for iPad,... worked fine for me - BUT:
every time I started auria for the first time (after connecting the hardware) there was quite a VERY BIG latency (maby half a second, you hear it in the video)
I had to shut down auria, restart, then it worked perfectly. (I always had latency set to 128, iPad4)

Now, with 1.10, restarting doesn´t help anymore, I can´t get rid of the latency.
Here is what happens:
latency set to 128: sound comes many half a second later
l. set to 256: the same
l. set to 512: distortion
l. set to 1024: distortion
l. set to 2048 or more: this works as it should, (but it´s way too long for my needs)

I put a video on youtube to picture the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klvR0uNoAdY

thanks for your help

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Oh wow I'm looking into a duet and this is interesting. Is there a direct monitoring option on the duet? To hear the signal beofre it goes into the software?

geiger120

Post by geiger120 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Guilleonline wrote:Oh wow I'm looking into a duet and this is interesting. Is there a direct monitoring option on the duet? To hear the signal beofre it goes into the software?
Yes, that´s not the problem, duet works fine.
But for me, direct monitoring isn´t an option, because I use filters comps usw on the tracks.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:45 pm

iPad4 / Duet

Almost identical issue as geiger above.
Using Audiobus seems to solve the problem.
Also loading Cubase and using it then switching to Auria also seems to solve the problem.
Closing Cubase, Auria still okay. Closing and opening Auria, same prob.

@Guill... Yes there is a direct monitor option. I haven't been using it as I'm using effects. Overall the Duet is an excellent unit that just seems to do everything elegantly and just work... well I'm sure all will be back to normal once this issue gets sorted.
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:14 pm

I'll let Apogee know about this issue. Maybe they'll have some ideas. Thanks for letting me know.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm

By the way, what iOS version is everyone using that has this problem? Also, what iPad model?

Thanks,
Rim

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 pm

iOS 6.1.3
Apogee Duet
iPad4 / 32
Auria 1.10

Always latest versions of everything 8)
Learning to play drums

geiger120

Post by geiger120 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 am

Rim wrote:I'll let Apogee know about this issue. Maybe they'll have some ideas. Thanks for letting me know.

Rim
I don't think, that the duet causes the problem, I had the same with lexicon soundcard and cck.
Ipad4 with 6.1.3

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:14 am

Okay, so this is weird. It's definitely intermittent.

On all apps closed and starting Auria alone, problem as above.
Going back to home screen and loading Safari to check this forum and then going back to Auria, problem solved!! No, latency. But, trying it again, if Auria has background audio on when opening Safari as above, No fix.

:?:

On another note the memory meter doesn't seem to be working. Shows the number but no coloured bars.

Rob
Learning to play drums

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:59 am

A quick question - are you guys using the headphone output on the iPad, or on the Duet when this problem happens?

Also, in what order are you plugging things in? In other words, does it matter if you plug in the Duet before starting Auria, or after starting it? When are you plugging your headphones in, and does the order make a difference?

Thanks,
Rim

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:22 am

All i/o is through the Duet, which is pretty well permanently on. I don't use iPad headphones out.

I just repeated the steps. I was watching a movie. Then closed down all apps except Safari. Started Auria and latency issue was there (same as described by geiger120 except I only get distortion on buffer size of 512).
Just switched to Safari to start this post, switched back and now everything's fine. Running buffer of 128 no problems.

Just to be sure, I just pulled the power on the Duet, left it off for a minute, plugged back in, went back to Auria, latency was there switched to here again then back to Auria, no latency...

I don't envy your job :)
At least it's easy to work around.
Rob
Learning to play drums

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 am

Rob,

Thanks, I don't envy it either ;) Would you mind trying a couple of things to try and narrow this down? Does it matter if you watch a movie (started in in Safari)? Or does this happen by just using Safari?

Always run these tests by closing all apps, then doing a reboot (please do both).

I'm trying to get a scenario that I can duplicate here, starting from a freshly rebooted iPad with no apps running.

Thanks,
Rim

silent climb

Post by silent climb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Rim,

Just to let you know, I am using an iPad 4, iOS version 6.1.3 & Auria 1.10. I plug my Duet into the ipad, then power the ipad on, then load up Auria. I only use the headphones output of the Duet.

After the random self remedying of this latency issue by reasons unbeknown to me, I just powered everything up again & opened Auria & was experiencing the same latency issue as before. Something I did fixed it.....I think. It could also have just been a coincidence & other background factors were at play during my fiddle. This is what I did.

So, Auria was opened with the last project & settings, however the bad latency was back. I had already enabled "app background audio mode" so that I could monitor the signal whilst i had a fiddle outside of Auria. I loaded up Maestro, clicked on the output icon at the bottom of the screen & under the "Speaker" tab (the black one) in this section, I changed the "Out 1-2" (in the white tab) to "Mixer" instead. As soon as I did this, the latency disappeared. I then clicked on Auria, so that I could see the project window & went into settings to see if anything had changed - It hadn't. Dumbfounded & confused, I clicked back on the Maestro app & what I had just changed - the "Out 1-2" to "Mixer" in the white tab under the black "Speaker" tab in outputs, had changed itself back to "Out 1-2" yet I was still latency free!

Confusing!

Hope this is in some way helpful,

Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Interesting... Thanks for the info.

Rim